cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M500 internet speed not even coming close to performing at estimated speeds

Baresi123
Just joined

Independent Internet speed test regularly results in a download speed of 10.6Mbps and an upload speed of 25.4Mbps and given that I'm paying for the M500 package, does anyone else feel that Virgin's advertised package speeds are fake and that we're being conned???

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Meerkat__
Just joined

I'm starting to believe the speeds are faked. I'm paying for the Gig 1 broadband £65 a month, but I've ran multiple tests over the course of a week on multiple websites and through my PlayStation, my phone reached an average of 40Mbps through websites, laptop through wired connection reached an average of 70 and my PlayStation was hitting 300Mbps but now after a few months of having this package it barely breaks 50Mbps through a wired connection. I'm starting to believe the advertised speeds are fake to lure you into a false contract.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Meerkat__
Just joined

I'm starting to believe the speeds are faked. I'm paying for the Gig 1 broadband £65 a month, but I've ran multiple tests over the course of a week on multiple websites and through my PlayStation, my phone reached an average of 40Mbps through websites, laptop through wired connection reached an average of 70 and my PlayStation was hitting 300Mbps but now after a few months of having this package it barely breaks 50Mbps through a wired connection. I'm starting to believe the advertised speeds are fake to lure you into a false contract.

Hi, thanks for the reply and agree that the speeds don't seem to even meet half of the promised speeds when I signed up to the contract. Overall their only response to the poorly performing internet was to sell me an additional hub at an extra £5/month!!

Maybe your equipment isn't capable of 1 Gig?  If your laptop is getting 70 and PlayStation is getting 300 then it must be something with your laptop.  The PlayStation will never get near 1 gig speeds.  Try using www.samknows.com/realspeed/ this will give you speed to the hub and speed to the device.  Only works with Hub4 though

I work for VMO2 but all opinions are my own and are based on my own experiences

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Baresi123 wrote:

does anyone else feel that Virgin's advertised package speeds are fake and that we're being conned???

No i've always gotten the advertised speed or above everywhere i've used VM/NTL in the last 10+ years

The latest Ofcom best and worst telecoms customer services survey is revealing:

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/media/media-releases/2020/customer-service-revealed

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0014/201434/comparing-service-quality-2019.pdf

Virgin Media are average in terms of satisfaction with overall service, reliability and speed (85%).

Where VM fall down is that 14% of broadband customers have a reason to complain. VM have 5.42m broadband customers according to ISPreview, so that's 758,800 who have a reason to complain. They are also below average in terms of overall satisfaction with complaint handling (46%) and average call waiting times (4:26).

These figures are red boxed by Ofcom meaning that they are "Statistically significantly worse than the sector average at the 95% confidence level for market research results / bottom performer for MI data."

Personally, I don't think the VM network is any worse performing than the others. But where VM go wrong, in my opinion, is that the constant delay and deflection when you speak to customer services creates an impression that things are catastrophically bad.

You only have to read through the posts in this forum to see just how painful it is for VM's customers to get any kind of clear information or quick resolution to their problems. Sort that out and most of the apparent problems will go away.

Thanks for your post and for reaching out to the Community Forums, Baresi123

Sorry to hear that you have been having connection issues with your broadband. I have been running some remote diagnostics which has shown some errors with your connection. I have set up an engineer’s visit for you which you will be able to view from your online account here.

Cheers,

Corey C