cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M500 Upgrade is a disaster - Slower speed than M200

Goosh
On our wavelength

Hi all, 

I upgraded to the M500 package from the M200 and the speeds have gotten worse! I've been reading a lot of the forum posts and I don't appear to be alone.

Background

My setup is a Hub3 in modem mode, plugged into a Netgear R8000 Nighthawk with firmware V1.0.4.76_10.1.82. This has been running perfectly for just over 2 years and is configured correctly - running in QoS mode with 1x 2.5ghz and 2x 5ghz channels, evenly split out and managed by device (I'm a gamer and streamer so this is highly important to me).

I upgraded to the M500 on the 15th September, the router was remotely rebooted by VM and I thought that was all that was needed.  Having checked speedtest.net, there was no real change to my speeds (if anything it looked lower than before) so decided to wait a day or two.

On Sunday (19th September), I rebooted both the modem and router with a power cycle (10 minutes unplugged, cuppa, come back style :D) Still no improvement but an increase in my upload speed to 30Mbps (the 10% I've seen in other threads).

Test and Checks

So far I have done the following:

• Hardwire Modem Check. Booted the Hub3 into Modem & Router mode, use the Cat6 lead provided from the Hub3 to a laptop, disabled wifi on the laptop and ran speedtest.net via Ethernet. No improvement in speed.
  • Hardwire Router Check. Booted the Hub3 into Modem mode only, connected to the Router via Cat6 to a laptop, disabled wifi on the laptop and ran speedtest.net via Ethernet. No improvement in speed.
  • QoS Auto/Manual. Checked QoS mode on the Router in both auto and manual and saw no change. Speed registered via the router is:

Netgear - QoS - 20-09-2021.png

My SpeedTest results show the Upload increase instantly from the date of the upgrade too, but worse download speeds:

screencapture-speedtest-net-results-2021-09-20-09_24_43-cropped.png

I've also setup a ThinkBroadband Monitor last night and I don't like the sea of red on the Packet Loss that the graph has given me:

1332f882402dfc6ce4357c67cbc9604db5951643-20-09-2021.png

Live graph here: https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/a739504fa032a95f06bd986f9407a64886...

So far, I cannot get anywhere near the speeds I upgraded to and it's infuriating.  I'm ready to call up and envoke my 14 day reverse on the contract upgrade.

Here are my Modem stats (of which I will admit I am clueless about):

Hub-Status.pngHub-Downstream-1.pngHub-Downstream-2.pngHub-Upstream.pngHub-Config.png

Any help or advice would be appreciated as I am one-step away from factory resetting the modem and router which I don't want to do incase I lose all internet for a longer period of time than I can afford.

42 REPLIES 42

slaterss
On our wavelength

Hi slaterss

Sorry you have had to post on here 

Are you able to explain in a bit more as your post just contained a Header 

Gareth_L

slaterss
On our wavelength

apologies; the blank post was by mistake.