Menu
arwmjc
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

M350 question

Just signed up to virgin got it saturday but getting nowhere near speed im paying for not very good with this sort of thing either so some straightforward advice welcome.. done numerous speettests on my mobile they range from 37mb to 230 i think was the max i ever got... upload has been around 30ish everytime so thats about right. Have connected tv to the hub3 by cable and do a speed test on that and its getting around 80-90mb which is bizare. And even stranger i go into hub settings and it says no wired connection  but quite clearly is one because tv is online. im getting a new asus router tomorrow and going to put hub into modem mode because reading up on here hub has had plenty of problems and wifi range is awful cant even reach to the conservatory and its not a massive house.. any help and advice appreciated. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: M350 question

Your TV likely has a 100Mb NIC HD or 4K does not need to go above 100Mb so TV makers didn't see any reason for it to go faster.

With wireless speed you may not get all your speed due to how wireless can be but a new router might make it better so to test your full speed you need a device thats wired at 1Gb.

0 Kudos
arwmjc
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

So have a macbook anything else i could use to make sure of the true speed im getting?

0 Kudos
arwmjc
Joining in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Even on wifi sitting next to the hub 3 shouldnt i be getting the 350 mb or very close to it? I am using the s10 plus phone so one of the latest phones as i say most i was getting was 220ish

0 Kudos
arwmjc
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Screenshot_20190911-060606_Speedtest.jpg

Just standing next to hub 6.05 in morning something is not right...

0 Kudos
arwmjc
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Not sure why pic nit come out but did a test this morning and getting about 38mb download and 22 upload... was getting betrer than that with bt... i still have time to cancel this hopefully someone on gere who works for virgin can help me out???

0 Kudos
cje85
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

You might need to split your WiFi networks, by default they both have the same name and your phone may be connecting to the slower 2.4Ghz WiFi network which won't provide full speed.

To do this:

• Access your Hub at http://192.168.0.1 
  • Login with the default login info (on base of Hub) unless you've already updated it.
  • Go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security
  • Under Wireless Frequency 2.4GHz change the Wifi Network Name (SSID) (eg. add -2G to the end)
  • Repeat for the Wireless Frequency 5GHz  (eg. add -5G to the end) and click on Apply changes.

Give it a minute for the new settings to take effect then connect your phone and other devices to the network with -5G in the name 

0 Kudos
arwmjc
Joining in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Ok thanks i will try that when i get home..  so what devices should i connect to the 2.4 wifi? And should i be getting close to 350 on the 5ghz?

0 Kudos
arwmjc
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I  did what you said and changed passwords for each also. Saved changes they show up separately on wifi but cant connect ? So im stuck here with nothing now... cant access hub because im not on wifi...

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi arwmjc

If that's the case it may be best trying a pin hole reset 

The 2.4 and 5 channels will both be changed back to factory default 

Gareth_L

0 Kudos