cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M350 FIBRE but only getting 100mbps

rudainy6
Tuning in

Hello!

Approximately, a month ago I renewed my contract with Virgin Media, and choose to opt-in for the M350 fiber as we have a gamer and we stream a lot of movies in the house. 
We've noticed that the download speed/ or the speed in general never exceeds past 90-108mbps
I'm currently paying a lot for this upgrade, I don't understand why I'm not getting what I paid for?
Is this an issue with my Wifi router or is Virgin media just not meeting people's requirements nowadays?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thank you so much, I'll try that today.

Is it possible to request a better hub? Would that make a difference? or do I buy one myself?

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

conman33158
Super solver

Wifi speeds are always going to be lower and is the reason why Virgin do not guarantee wifi speeds because there are too many variables. Also make sure you are connected to the 5Ghz band for better speeds 🙂

What speed do you get on https://speedtest.samknows.com/ with direct wired connection from PC/Laptop to router using a Cat 5e cable or better with a 1Gbps capable Ethernet network card?

1. Make sure the cable is Cat 5e or better
  2. Make sure your PC/laptop has a 1Gbps or better network card
  3. Disconnect all other Ethernet cables when running the test

***********************************************************************************************************************************
BT Full Fibre 900 FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U to Openreach ONT Box & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
***********************************************************************************************************************************
My Broadband Ping - BT Full Fibre 900

Hello!

How do I check If I'm on that?

Also could I request a new hub because our is old from Virgin media and I feel like it isn't really delivering the speed we have paid for.

Type  http://192.168.0.1  into your URL address bar on your browser and login into the Hub with your chosen password or use the settings password on the Hubs sticker on the bottom of the Hub and set up the Hub with a new password. Then go to Advanced>Wireless>Smart Wi-Fi and tick the disable “channel optimisation” box and save settings.  Then go to Advanced>Wireless>Security and rename the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz network SSID's.  Change them to whatever you like, for example JohnsVirgin_2 and JohnVirgin_5.  You can keep the same wi-fi passwords or use one of your choosing, then click apply settings and restart the Hub. Your two wi-fi networks will now be separated and you can select whichever network you want to connect too, for example the JohnsVirgin_2 (2Ghz) or JohnsVirgin_5 (5Ghz). The 2Ghz one has a greater range but has a slower speed and the 5Ghz one has less range but faster speeds. Be aware that some older devices will only see the 2.4Ghz SSID but most modern devices will come with 5Ghz capability.

Also please be aware that all your previously connected wireless devices will need to be connected again to your new SSID's with you new passwords or your old password if you decided to keep them.

BT Full Fibre 900 FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U to Openreach ONT Box & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
My Broadband Ping - BT Full Fibre 900

Thank you so much, I'll try that today.

Is it possible to request a better hub? Would that make a difference? or do I buy one myself?

Hi rudainy6, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's great having you on board with us in the Community. 

I'm sorry to hear that you are not getting the most from your speeds. As mentioned above, WiFi speeds will always be a little lower than speeds through the ethernet cable and that's due to so many different factors. The hint to separate the bands given above is a good one for you to manually connect your devices to the individual bands. This can sometimes help to improve things. Looking at the bands, I can see you are yet to do this. 

In terms of upgrading the hub, if you wanted to do this then you can speak to the team on 0345 454 1111 and they can look at your options. 

Keep us posted on how things go. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

What I don't get is how I'm Only getting 70 / 35mbs??????

I've tried everything recommended, even called Virgin media. Useless and useless and useless. I can't even do anything at home nor browse the wifi if I don't get a 3000ping? Is that even normal? This should be fixed. I don't have to chase here and in the phone for something so simple to get fixed. I want this issue fixed. Sick and tired of Virgin media being absolutely rubbish. Can someone here fix my issue or do I have to leave this useless company?

Hi Rudainy6,

Thanks for your continued post about this issue with your speeds, I understand as a gamer myself it's frustrating especially when all you want to do is relax after a long day on a good game - without constant lagging. I can also see that you feel a new Hub will fix the issue, but I am afraid this isn't always the case with speed situations, especially with devices on a WIFI connection. Furthermore, I've had a look at your Hub specs and also ran a health check to see if any red flags were picked up. However your Hub is working great, the only issue is with your WIFI setup which you have been given advice with above in terms of checking and changing the Ghz bands.

We would not be able to send out a new Hub without concrete evidence that there is a fault with the current one to protect our stocks and to avoid further frustration for you seen as it likely won't help.

What I need you to do for us today is pretty much exactly what conman33158 suggested in their first post which is -

• Run a Speed test.
  • Make sure the cable is Cat 5e or better.
  • Make sure your PC/laptop has a 1Gbps or better network card.
  • Disconnect all other Ethernet cables when running the test.

and also set up a BMQ graph over the next 24 hours on your Ethernet connected device so we can see what your hardwired connection is like.

Please report back with your findings and try changing the Ghz bands here and we will gladly help further.

Thanks,

Megan_L

Hello!

I can’t do any of this if there is no internet connection. I’m using my 4G to reply back to this right now. Wifi router  shows that it’s working but I’m not getting any signal to any devices. 

Im being lied to by virgin media that everything is working, I’m literally not getting any internet. I’ve tried resetting, everything mentioned above. 

I have a screenshot that I only had 8mbs through the speed test.net website.

it’s getting frustrating right now. 

Hi Rudainy6, 

Thanks for coming back to me, I am sorry to hear about that. 

I think we will need to go ahead and hard reset your Hub, this is different to just rebooting it. Please follow these instructions -

• Make sure the Hub is switched on at the wall and at the back of the Hub
  • On the back of the Hub, press the pinhole reset button for 10 seconds
  • We recommend using a pin/pen for this as the hole is small
  • Allow the Hub a few minutes to clear its settings and reboot
  • You’ll know it’s ready when the white power light at the front of the Hub is on. Or if you have a Hub 4 the light ring will be solid white.

Important tip: The Hub will return to factory settings, so if you’ve made any changes such as updating your WiFi password, you’ll need to set these up again after the Hub has reset. 

Thanks,

Megan_L