cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M200 plan failing daily.

Stevo681
Joining in

Upgraded about a week ago if not longer. My speeds are not  averaging at 213mbps but are dropping to less than 20mbps making this upgrade worse than my previous plan which was actually stable at 106mbps, the M100. Constantly dropping out completely then coming back to an average of 65mbps and then dropping down to nothing. Worst broadband connection I have ever had!!I have one device connected and it’s wired!

Virgin can you please give me what I am sweating and spilling blood for on a daily basis or do I have to go elsewhere?

9 REPLIES 9

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Did you get a new/different Hub with the upgrade - what is it?

In any case try a reset first like this....

first make sure the 2 passwords on the Hub sticker are still there and legible first ! Disconnect any ethernet cables from the Hub (leave the coax connected), and then with the Hub still "switched on" throughout, press pin in firmly with paper clip/SIM tray tool or similar "thin thing" and hold it firmly for at least 60 (a timed sixty) seconds, release the pin, leave for 5’ to stabilise - dont manually switch it off at any time. Passwords will reset to those on the sticker. See if that sorts it.

If not report back

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Yep, already tried that and to no avail I’m afraid. I haven’t received an router upgrade but the hub 3 can easily handle the M200 plan. 
I guess I will give another few days then if things don’t improve as promised then I will contact Virgin.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Can we check… are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection/Hub related?

If its on wifi - are you connecting on the 2.4 or 5 GHz band ?

Also are your devices set up/capable to receive speeds of >100Mbps?

Network connections can drop to max out at 100 if network card settings reset to 100, or drivers are not up to date, or ethernet cables "fail'

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi

New Xbox series S, wired, new cables, router and plan. Checked everything done all the tests. It’s now Sunday and not so many complete drop outs but still only 135 mbps on average, no where near 213mbps and only rarely spikes to that speed. One phone on WiFi. The problem is not my end as far as I can see so far. So 70mbps short of the promised average.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Still not sure how you are doing the speedtests. Is that on the Xbox? There are may reports on here where its said that speedtests on consoles are notoriously inaccurate. Cant comment myself - I have never done that.

Can you test on a wired computer/laptop?

--------------------
John
--------------------

Hi John

fFirst if all thanks for your attention to this issue. The speed tests were done on my PC and phone. The Xbox however is also continually losing connection through game play. It’s not any of my hardware. I thinks it’s a job for Virgin.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Stevo681 wrote:

still only 135 mbps on average, no where near 213mbps and only rarely spikes to that speed. One phone on WiFi. The problem is not my end as far as I can see so far. So 70mbps short of the promised average.

Just for info, the minimum guaranteed speed on the M200 is 107 Mbps

https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/our-speeds-explained 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi @Stevo681

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your broadband at this time. I have checked our systems and cannot see any issues that might be causing these slow speeds and drop outs. If you are experiencing these issues over a wired connection, can you please setup a Broadband Quality Monitor and post a link to your live graph. Give it a while to gather data and then click 'Share Live graph' and paste the 'Direct Link' into the forum. Once we have this extra information we will be able to offer you the further support you need.
If you could also post your Hub status and logs. Here are steps on how to do this;
• Please go to http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode)

• Don't log in, click on 'router status'
• Copy/paste the data from each of the tabs as text into a 'REPLY' as opposed to 'QUICK REPLY'. Please do not include your MAC address.

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Glad to report that Virgin have fixed my issue. It was an external connection that was a little loose due to previous users coming and going. The outside cabinet or fibre point needed some TLC of which has now solved the issue. My connection has now stabilised and maintaining good speeds. Cheers Virgin, great customer service all round and worth the blood sweat and cheers of my manual labour afterall. 👍🏻.