forumarchive,nothingtosee,
Menu
lanceuppercut47
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

M200 package, getting 220/18 on wired but wireless using a Deco S4, I'm getting no better than 15/18

I don't really know what's going on, when my Macbook Pro is connected via ethernet cable, I get 220/18 approx from speedtest.net, when I take the same Macbook Pro onto wireless, it barely is able to go about 15/18, this leads me to believe the wireless is the fault here.

I've tested my work Mac and it's the same, connection via ethernet is fine but the same device on wireless is woeful.  My iPhone/iPad are all the same, barely goes above 15 at the best of times and I can't test it on ethernet of course.

I've got the SH3 in modem mode and running the main S4 off that which handles DHCP and everything, I have QoS set to 1000/1000 with my devices added and even if I sit right next to it, the speeds barely go about 15.

Anyone have any ideas as I'm getting my M200 speeds via ethernet, just not wirelessly.

Edit: for some reason my MacBook is now showing speeds of 100+ on wireless which is what I expect, but here's a speedtest.net from my iPhone 12 Pro Max, I can't explain why it was doing 100+ for 2 attempts then gone back to normal, I was just hitting re-test and not changing any of the servers or anything, the phone didn't move from where it was either.

0 Kudos
mjpartyboy
Superfast
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: M200 package, getting 220/18 on wired but wireless using a Deco S4, I'm getting no better than 15/18

You're not supposed to set QoS up and down speeds beyond the capabilities of your service. You're supposed to set it to around 90% of the up and down speeds you actually get. So, that might be causing issues.

QoS may not even be necessary with those speeds. I tried it for a bit last year, with home working, etc. and it actually caused more problems than it solved for us. I persevered with it for a while and tweaked it, then eventually turned it off and the problems went away.

We're on the 200/20 service and on the 5 GHz network I can max out both up and down speeds, so the issue seems like it could be with your router configuration.

0 Kudos
lanceuppercut47
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: M200 package, getting 220/18 on wired but wireless using a Deco S4, I'm getting no better than 15/18

I don't see how setting QoS too high, would throttle my connection when only on WIFI.

I managed to sort it out in the end, tested this morning and one Deco node was giving me 220/20, went back to where I did the speedtests above and the same phone, dropped to 20/18.  Ended up swapping the Deco units themselves around and both are giving me near enough 220/20 again.  Can't say it was a faulty Deco unit as one of the two shouldn't work if one was faulty, but they're both fine now.

0 Kudos