cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M100 to M350 Slow Speeds

Markyp26
Joining in

Afternoon all, hoping for some advice should anyone know.

Recently upgraded from M100 to M350 and whereas beforehand I was getting around 75 - 80 download speeds, I'm now averaging around 20. 

I've got a Hub 3 that's in modem mode, using an additional router. Have tried resetting both the hub and router to no avail. 

If anyone has any ideas, love to hear them and thanks for any steers 

6 REPLIES 6

Remy69
On our wavelength

@Markyp26 wrote: Choice ADVANTAGE Login

Afternoon all, hoping for some advice should anyone know.

Recently upgraded from M100 to M350 and whereas beforehand I was getting around 75 - 80 download speeds, I'm now averaging around 20. 

I've got a Hub 3 that's in modem mode, using an additional router. Have tried resetting both the hub and router to no avail. 

If anyone has any ideas, love to hear them and thanks for any steers 

Check all your connections are tight. If there aren't any switch your router off and call customer services. Then call/webchat get a tech out. You probably have old connections or splitters or even a network fault. Or even could be that your signal levels are too high and they need to put in an attenuator to bring it in spec.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Markyp26 wrote:

<snip>   I've got a Hub 3 that's in modem mode, using an additional router. Have tried resetting both the hub and router to no avail. 

VM will ask you to put your Hub 3 back in Router mode for diagnostics. 

When done, can you post your power levels and network logs.  Also setup a BQM here to monitor your circuit.  www.thinkbroadband.com/ping

Once done we can comment.

You could also try a 60 second factory pinhole reset as below;
Remove any ethernet cables from the Hub and hold the pinhole reset switch for 60 seconds. Do NOT reboot the Hub, just let it do it's thing. Note you will need the passwords from the bottom of the Hub afterwards, so make sure they are legible.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Cheers for the advice guys, done a factory reset and once rebooted and connected to the Virgin Hub I was getting 240+ download speeds. I've then reconnected to a separate router, the speeds have dropped down to 70mb so must be the router throttling. 

Still, an improvement from before and is more than enough for my needs.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Markyp26 wrote:

Cheers for the advice guys, done a factory reset and once rebooted and connected to the Virgin Hub I was getting 240+ download speeds. I've then reconnected to a separate router, the speeds have dropped down to 70mb so must be the router throttling.  <snip>

What router are you using?  Have you any QoS setup as this will restrict throughput. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

It's a TP-Link Archer C60, only £30 from Currys. Does say on the box that it'll be able to handle the speeds... Sorry but what do you mean by QoS? Still a newbie with the lingo!

@Markyp26 wrote:

It's a TP-Link Archer C60, only £30 from Currys. Does say on the box that it'll be able to handle the speeds... Sorry but what do you mean by QoS? Still a newbie with the lingo!

That router only has 10/100 ethernet ports:

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/wifi-router/archer-c60/#specifications

So regardless of WiFi speeds you are limted to the 100Mbps (95Mbps real world) connection between the HUB and TP-Link.

Return it and get a router that has 1Gbps ethernet ports!

Even on a budget this will be miles better:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Dual-Band-Advanced-security-configure/dp/B0937B8TMB/ref=sr_1_3?crid...