cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M100 Ultrafast Fibre only 42mbps

cool1987
On our wavelength

My service was enabled a week ago so i thought the speed would have settled more than this, this is way under the guaranteed speeds.

Can anyone assist please?

17 REPLIES 17

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Can you explain how your conducting the test and what device your using to test? 

Some people for example are using the playstation speedtest thinking thats a proper speed test.

cool1987
On our wavelength

Well i don't have a playstation so i wouldn't know about that or how other people test.

I'm using ookla's speedtest standalone windows app, and fast.com for speed tests.

cool1987
On our wavelength

and it's through wifi, strong signal.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
You have to test speeds on an ethernet cable connected device. Can you try this way...

Connect a computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a NEW and working Cat5e/6a ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode” (https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ). This ensures that NO other devices are connected that can affect speeds

Test speeds at https://speedtest.samknows.com/ - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot your device into Windows safe+networking mode - to disable any potentially interfering software - and try again.

There are many posts on here (I have a list of ~30!) where QoS software, unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

That seems to be an interesting way of testing things out, but wouldn't seem to represent day to day use of the router would it?

Therefore if you're testing it based on how it's not normally used how can you get an accurate reading when the conditions aren't the same?

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM do not guarantee wifi speeds, they only measure speeds delivered to the Hub.  Hence the request to test a cabled connection from a gigabit enabled device using a know good Cat 6 cable.

Any issues around poor wifi are not the remit of VM, apart from renting wifi pods to cover any wifi black spots.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

We don't know if the device your using is pants, or if you have an actual fault.  To rule out that it's your own device that's the fault a wired test is a good starting point

cool1987
On our wavelength

Solved the problem myself without any of the suggestions here.

Anyone else having speed problems i'd suggest splitting the wireless bands, 2.4ghz and 5ghz into separate bands, then connect to the 5ghz one, it gets full speed and it's not shared by all the other devices.

cool1987
On our wavelength

"We don't know if the device your using is pants.."

That's when you know you're not dealing with professionals...😅