Menu
yanimatanov
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Low upload speed (<1mbps) during working hours

Hi folks,

I've been experiencing <1mbps upload speeds during work days (9-6 M-F) over the last 3 weeks. Speed is back to normal (8-10 mbps) during weekend and late at night. I've been a VM customer for 3+ years with not issues whatsoever on either upload / download. My set up hasn't changed since then.

A technician came 2 days ago and he said my connection was receiving too much signal as it is close to cabinet. He adjusted that and I had to do a factory reset on the router (VM Hub 3). That unfortunately did not help.

Are there any known issues in my area (area 15)? Anything else I can try?

More info on setup:

-Hub 3 on modem mode. Google WiFi as router (100% coverage throughout the house).

-Package: M100 Fiber

Many thanks,

0 Kudos
Scott_B
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Low upload speed (<1mbps) during working hours

Hi.

It may be worth tring the hub's wifi and try a speedtest from there. You would need to take it out of modem mode to do this.

A qiuck way to do this is to do the pinhole reset at the back for 60 seconds.

PM me if this does not work with your accound number and postcode and i will look into it for you.

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Rrio66
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Same issues ... got no fix yet, at peak times upload is in the kB range 😞

0 Kudos
sweetleaf
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Lots of people are having the same issue. Virgin either can't cope with the increase demand and/or they have throttled our connections.

yanimatanov
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I agree with sweetleaf. It is good to get an official confirmation from Virgin Media on current challenges and how they're working on improving the situation rather than being sent into a loop of reseting routers and trying again.

I did try the suggested steps from above and got the exact same results: normal download speeds (~100mbps) and atrocious upload speeds (~1mbps) during working hours.

It is not a fault with the on-premise router/wifi since network returns to normal (as promised) up and down speeds late at night until early mornings.

0 Kudos
sweetleaf
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The truth is that this pandemic has revelead to the masses how bad Virgin's infrastructure is. My upload speed is around 2Mbps (instead of 20Mbps) on weekdays but also it flactuates so much even during the weekend so voice calls, playing games etc is impossible. The lines have too much noise and are so unstable so one speed test will give you 210Mbps/17Mbps down and up speed while the next one will give you 60Mbps/5.9Mbps (actual results).

Of course Virgin will not admit their infastructure is awful which would be equal to admitting that they breach your contract by not providing the service they agreed to.

0 Kudos
yanimatanov
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello VM,

An update on the below is that my upload speed has continued to fluctuate based on working hours (e.g. <1 mbps during M-F 9am-6pm and back to normal 10mbps otherwise). I've tried as suggested, reseting the router, turning the power on/off, checking all the cable connections, etc. nothing has helped and the trend continued.

Are there any further suggestions? At this point I'm ready to cancel my subscription and (gulp!) move to BT.

Kind regards,

0 Kudos
Toms200
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I logged into superhub 3 and disabled 5G and channel optimisation. Suddenly upload speed went from 600kb/s to 2.3Mb/s and even then it is unstable and fluctuates between 1.6-2.3Mb/s if lucky. The day I upgraded or downgraded to superhub 3, I got issues. I used to have 2.5Mb/s upload speed, but now it just ripoff. I also read the policy regarding whether I can leave the virgin without an exit fee, but upload speed is not mentioned; therefore, they can screw people up.

10 min later upload speed is more stable after disabling 5G and channel optimisation.

0 Kudos