cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low upload speed daily in the evening

danouk
Tuning in

Hi,

I have mentioned my issue as a reply on another thread, but wanted to share my own experience in case it's different.

Never had any issues during my time with Virgin, always had a consistent connection, but in the last 2 weeks approximately my upload speed has dropped from 20mbps to between 0.5-5mbps in the evening and sometimes in the day. 

I have a T200 package, I have a Super Hub 3 which is in Modem mode.

When I check service status in the area it says everything is fine, but when I click on the equipment test, it says there may be an issue affecting people in the area. The issues generally only happen when support lines are closed so it's very frustrating as I can't report it at the time. I'll post info from router now:

25 REPLIES 25

Appreciate its Christmas but 8pm tonight same issues... Please see BQM I shared. 8pm to 8am every day for 3 weeks the upload connection is basically unusable. I really need someone to acknowledge the issue locally and advise when it will be actually fixed.

I am not getting the service I am paying for. 

Thank you for the update @danouk.

Sorry to hear you are having issues with your hub power levels. We can understand this is not ideal and we want to best help. I have sent you a private message regarding this. Please provide a response when you can.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

I've responded to the PM. We were told 28th 3pm fix, then 30th 3pm fix and still issues remain on the whole street as per the BQM. 8pm like clockwork the droppages fall.

Was told fix was in place for 28th at 3pm, despite the fact it's been going on since 7th December.

An actual update of the issue, and what is being done to rectify it is required at this point I think after 3 weeks of pushing the ETA back 2-3 days at a time.

Thanks for coming back to us @danouk.

SNR issues can be very complex to solve as our support team would need to locate the source of the interference and fix the issue but this can be the reason for the length of time being taken to get this issue resolved. Unfortunately the estimated fix date and time has now been changed to January 10th @ 3pm.

Regards,

Steven_L

At this point I have raised a complaint with Virgin and received the same boiler plate response of "our technicians are working hard to resolve this, we're sorry about this" which at this point is exhausting.

I sync my local drive with the cloud which is scheduled at evenings and now is completely impossible. First world problems I understand, but it also impacts anything that involves the upstream, like video calls, gaming etc. 

I even asked based on this if I could be given options to get out of contract early as I'm not receiving the service I pay for, and once again just ignored. It is really exhausting dealing with Customer Services at Virgin.

The last fix date I heard was 17th Jan, but get's pushed back a week at a time now without any explanation of what is actually going on or being done to resolve it. Also on this, as my neighbour was first given the fault reference he has been updated about delays, but I am not. Could I please be added to this to receive updates?

Please can someone from the virgin team clarify what is happening? When it gets to 8 weeks, which is fast approaching I shall be complaining to the Ombudsman.

Regards.

Hi danouk, 

Thanks for coming back to us with an update. 

We appreciate the update and can only apologise that this is ongoing for you. As mentioned by my colleague previously, SNR faults can be quite complex and they usually go one of two ways. Either the fault is found right away and resolved quite quickly or it takes a while to locate the account. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground. 

The good news about the type of fault that is affecting you though is that it is intermittent and shouldn't cause too much of a disruption. The fault itself causes your signals to fluctuate which in turn causes slow speeds and drop outs. 

Where possible we would recommend to connect through an ethernet cable to help provide the strongest connection. 

I can see the estimated fix time for the fault has extended to 25 JAN 2022 15:00 so hopefully this will be closed for you today. 

I can see your complaint is also still open and you can keep track of this through your My VM account here

Once again we apologise for any inconvenience. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thanks for the reply.

It's not an intermittent issue though, it's 8pm to 8am every day and is really impacting my normal usage.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/4ee4c4e04e161432dbff8e044862116b1e2bd480

I'm sorry it's a complex issue to fix. But the good news you shared doesn't apply in my case.

The connection type doesn't seem to matter based on the BQM monitor I've shared.

The whole street are actively talking about moving to alternative providers. A Whatsapp group has sprung up locally and on FB because of this issue so it's pretty awful that no-one from Virgin has contacted us about a 2 month long problem, as they're clearly just hoping no-one notices.

The fix time you've shared has passed for the whatever time so please can you advise once more what is happening?

And this is in HA4 postcode in case I didn't mention and anyone else may be impacted.

From looking at your connection and area on our system, there is an issue today under reference C01282731 which does have an estimated fix time of later today at 3pm. We aren't suggesting this is the root of the issue as this appears to have been ongoing for quite a while.

What it does mean that any checks we run on your equipment and connection won't be accurate until this fault has been resolved. Once it is cleared we can take a closer look.

Rob