cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low Speeds After Upgrade from M500 to 1GB

BasildonBond2
Joining in

Hi everyone,

I have recently upgraded from M500 to 1GB but find that my connection speeds are the same as I was getting before, if not worse. For example, I am currently getting 375 Mbps (using Speedtest) over WiFi.

I think this quite poor considering the extra money I am paying for the service.

Can anyone help please 🙂

All the best,

Marcus

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@BasildonBond2 wrote:

Thank you for answering 🙂

I was upgraded to a Hub 4 being told that it would handle the 1GB speeds, so I am a bit confused there.

Also, when I connect via ethernet cable I still only get around 550 Mbps

The Hub4 will handle 1GB speeds on ethernet cable connections.  Not over wifi though as it is only wifi5 enabled - so as jb66 says it will max out well below that - to get those higher speeds on wifi you need a wifi router or access pont that is wifi6 enabled and also the devices you use also need to be wif6 enabled.  Its just "Physics".  Newer top spec devices like my kids iPhone 12's have that - my iP7 doesnt 😞

If you are not getting that speed on an ethernet cable - can you test this way...

_________

Connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a NEW and working Cat5e/6a ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode” (https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ). This ensures that NO other devices are connected

Test speeds at https://speedtest.samknows.com/ - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot you device into windows safe+networking mode to disable any potentially interfering software - and try again.

There are many posts on here (I have a list of ~30!) where QoS software, unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

17 REPLIES 17

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It's normal to get the same speed over WiFi on 1GB because "WiFi 5" that the hub and most devices use, rarely go beyond that speed.

If you need faster WiFi you would have to purchase a top range WiFi 6 router and have a WiFi 6 device 

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Just another who wants speed over wifi and don't get it...

---------------------------------------------------------------

I was upgraded to a Hub 4 being told that it would handle the 1GB speeds, so I am a bit confused there.

Shame there's not an "Unhelpful Answer" Button.

Even if what is being said is true, I find it rubbish to receive a worse level of service after an upgrade than what I received originally.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@BasildonBond2 wrote:

The Hub4 will handle 1GB speeds on ethernet cable connections.  Not over wifi though as it is only wifi5 enabled - so as jb66 says it will max out well below that - to get those higher speeds on wifi you need a wifi router or access pont that is wifi6 enabled and also the devices you use also need to be wif6 enabled.  Its just "Physics".  Newer top spec devices like my kids iPhone 12's have that - my iP7 doesnt 😞

If you are not getting that speed on an ethernet cable - can you test this way...

_________

Connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a NEW and working Cat5e/6a ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode” (https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ). This ensures that NO other devices are connected

Test speeds at https://speedtest.samknows.com/ - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot you device into windows safe+networking mode to disable any potentially interfering software - and try again.

There are many posts on here (I have a list of ~30!) where QoS software, unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi John,

Thank you for the thorough answer.

I think it would be good if Virgin made these details more obvious to the buyer. When I upgraded to 1GB, I expected a significant improvement in both my Wi-Fi and ethernet speeds.

My biggest problem though is that I am now getting a worse level of service than what I received before. Hardware-wise nothing has changed, I was using the Hub 4 before the upgrade and got consistent Wi-Fi speeds of between 400 - 500Mbps.

I have followed your instructions and got the following results via ethernet:

Using ChromeUsing ChromeUsing EdgeUsing EdgeSpeedtest 13_10_2021.PNG

Not really what I would expect from a 1GB connection 😞

The infrastructure has very recently been upgraded around my home to provide 1GB connections and I can't help wondering if something hasn't been set up at the junction box properly or something - what do I know??

Best wishes,

Marcus

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

To check whether the upgrade has actually been applied (it does sometimes not go through for various reasons), look in the Hub settings for the "Configuration data/file" page (or similar) and see what the numbers are in the Downstream and Upstream boxes reporting "Maximum Data Transfer Rate" (or summat similar) these numbers in bps will show if it been applied. If 1GB should begin.... 1xxxxxxxxx...

Also in the downstream channels data page is there a Docsis 3.1 channel - what data is in there?

--------------------
John
--------------------

BasildonBond2_0-1634145685511.png

Hi John, is this the information you mean?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Partly - it looks like the upgrade has been applied ok. But you need to go to the Downstream data page and look for a Docsis 3.1 channel - if there isnt one then there is an issue.

Also post up the data table as in this thread - where you can see the Down channels are all out of range too

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Gig1-upgrade-slow-speed/m-p/4842496#M279985

--------------------
John
--------------------