cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low Speed on Gig1

tisonlyagame
Joining in

Upgraded to Gig1 a few months ago, postcode M29.

Had a decent Draytek 2926 with the Hub4 in Modem mode but even with Hardware Acceleration turned on was still only seeing 300-500ish down with 50up. Taken the Draytek out to troubleshoot further and speeds are now averaging out around 100-150mbps. 

Full structured CAT6 around the house and gigabit switches. 

I guess next test is taking everything else out and having a single connection to the router?

Don't understand why speeds would drop massively taking the DrayTek out, nor should I have to?

10 REPLIES 10

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi tisonlyagame

Thanks for posting. I'm really sorry for any lower than expected speeds. 

I've ran some checks on our systems today and there's no issues showing, all your levels are in specification and there's no issues with congestion or SNR (signal to noise ratio).

Can you do a speedtest via Ethernet on a laptop/PC please in router mode? Let me know how you get on. 

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As far as I know, the Draytek 2926 has a WAN limit of around 400Mb, so many not work with the 1GB Tier.?

As for the speed reduction, try a full factory reset on the Hub as below;

Remove any ethernet cables from the Hub and hold the pinhole reset switch for 60 seconds. Do NOT reboot the Hub, just let it do it's thing. Note you will need the passwords from the bottom of the Hub afterwards, so make sure they are legible.

Try checking with Area faults on 0800 561 0061 or if you have a VM landline 150 as small local faults are not listed on the VM status page.

Post the power levels, Pre and PostRS errors and network log from the Hub. Also setup a BQM to monitor your circuit www.thinkbroadband.com/ping

Once done we can comment.  Thanks

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I just rebooted the router and it’s gone full speed 🤷‍♂️

thank you.

A few people out there have got close to full speed by turning on hardware acceleration 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Strange the Draytek website only gives 400MB max firewall throughput.  The later 2927 does 950 per WAN, so 1.8GB in total.  Makes my old 2860 seem ancient at 300MB throughput ........ 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

My bad, correct you are.

can’t have been paying close attention to my own model when posting / testing 

I’ll keep an eye on this as testing this morning had dropped to 300 ish again.

Hi tisonlyagame,

Thank you for your last update, how have things been since Thursday?

Regards

Paul.

Hi Paul, its up and down, only seems to go to 900+ for a while after a reboot, mostly in the 700ish range but i've not been home much.