Menu
Paul-r-b
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Losing connection / slowness

Have the super hub and pay for 100 mb and have now started to have problems with connectivity and sloooooow speeds. Got in touch with VM about this a while back and they sent me a superhub 2 but, having read about the problems people have had, have not connected it

Decided to move router into a more open position, asked VM if they could supply longer cables and was quoted £99 !! ~ got some from ebay and things improved, then started to get connectivity issues so obtained different cables and things seemed ok, this morning was getting speeds of 0.3 mbs on Wifi so connected ethernet and things improved 35mbs then over 50 but tonight at 8 oclock with a wired connection it was back down to 0.2 ~ anyone have any idea what is wrong ?? if anyone from Virgin is on here can I get a refund on my bill.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Losing connection / slowness

No chance of a refund if you didn't install the hub they sent you
0 Kudos
Paul-r-b
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

now if the problems withRe: Losing connection / slowness

do you know if the problems with the superhub 2 are fixed now only AFAIK once you move to it you can't go back.

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Super solver
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

YRe: now if the problems withRe: Losing connection / slowness

And no chance of support if you are using ebay cables.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: YRe: now if the problems withRe: Losing connection / slowness

Connect the SH2 directly to the VM coaxial cable, get it activated and see what speeds and reliability you get.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
Paul-r-b
Joining in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: YRe: now if the problems withRe: Losing connection / slowness

Yes I thought the cables might have been poor so that's why I bought some more, this time from  from Amazon, there were 16 reviews which I checked ( 15 positive and 1 negative ) this is the description of what I bought.

CPO RG6 F-Type Coaxial Television Cable for Sky TV, Virgin, and Freeview Set-Top Boxes 

• Ultra High Quality RG6 Coaxial Lead
  • F-Type Connectors - Gold Plated for a longer lasting and erosion free connection
  • Cable connects Digital Set Top Boxes such as SKY TV, Virgin Media, and Freeview

If you think them unsuitable and could recommend better I would appreciate it, last night with a wired connection after dropping back to 0.2 mbs I managed to obtain over 6O mbs but this morning it is down to 4 mbs again ~ I don't want ultra high speed ~ just a reliable connection. 

0 Kudos
Paul-r-b
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Roger 

Did what you said, connected the new hub to the splitter with the original VM coax cable, am now consistently getting speeds over 45 Mbps on Wifi and nearly 80 Mbps when wired ~ perfectly content with that ( as long as they don't drop !! )

thanks for your advice.

Paul

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Trouble shooter
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

That's better but you should be getting closer to 100mbps on wired connection. Also, check upload speed, should be 6mbps.

--
0 Kudos
Paul-r-b
Joining in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

yes upload speeds are 6 mbps.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Trouble shooter
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Your WiFi is also better as the old hub only broadcasted one band at a time, the SH2 broadcasts 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz simultaneously.

--
0 Kudos