Menu
Nupzyo
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Link Speed Way Off

Hi there, so...a week has gone by from having M500 fitted along with the rest of VMs top package and i have been monitoring the speeds.

The speeds don't read very well at all, average of 175mb via WiFi no greater than 218mb. 

Etherner speeds are even worse, never reaches over 100mb.

I have done a small amount of digging and came across my Link speed/transmit settings via network properties on the laptop.

They read as follows:

Ethernet: Recieve/Transmit 100/100mbps

Wifi: Recieve/Transmit 200/200mbps.

These figures mirror what speeds I am currently getting. Is there something wrong here, am I being set up on a lower M package but paying for M500 or what?

Thanks for reading, 

Nick.

0 Kudos
jhuk
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Link Speed Way Off

Does that Laptop have a 10/100/1000Mb/s NIC, looks like it may be 10/100Mb only.

Even with proper WIFI AC/AX devices to get near 350-500Mb/s you need enable 80MHZ for the 5GHZ band in the HUB3

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Your getting good speed over Wifi as it is and your not going to need more.

As for wired your laptop has a crappy 100Mb NIC if your laptop has USB 3 get a 1Gb to USB adapter.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0886B1S5J/ref=sspa_dk_detail_4?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B0886B1S5J&pd_rd_w=P5eQL&p...

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Eeeps
Rising star
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@Nupzyo wrote:

Hi there, so...a week has gone by from having M500 fitted along with the rest of VMs top package and i have been monitoring the speeds.

The speeds don't read very well at all, average of 175mb via WiFi no greater than 218mb. 

Etherner speeds are even worse, never reaches over 100mb.

I have done a small amount of digging and came across my Link speed/transmit settings via network properties on the laptop.

They read as follows:

Ethernet: Recieve/Transmit 100/100mbps

Wifi: Recieve/Transmit 200/200mbps.

These figures mirror what speeds I am currently getting. Is there something wrong here, am I being set up on a lower M package but paying for M500 or what?

Thanks for reading, 

Nick.

Firstly, you can check what speed your modem is configured for by going to the web page and looking at the Configuration tab -> Primary Downstream Service Flow -> Max traffic rate.

Regarding your wired speeds, looks like your link is negotiated at 100Mb/s. Is the adapter 1Gb/s capable?

On the wireless side depending on the wireless adapter in the laptop that could be the best you can get. Can you post the adapter device ID?

0 Kudos
Nupzyo
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for replying.

The wireless adapter is: Dual band wireless-AC 3168. 

The wifi speeds are abit better than the ethernet speeds on the laptop but not great to say I'm paying for m500.

So, outdated software and hardware is a big factor in receiving these advertised speeds?

I can't seem to find the configuration tab withing the hub3 page 192.168.....

Thanks again

0 Kudos
Nupzyo
Joining in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I have now updated the settings to 80MHZ and the results are no better im afraid.

My NIC is Realtek FE family controller #2

My computer knowledge isn't upto scratch as u probably can tell!

0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

That wireless card is 802.11ac, capable of 433 Mbps, so 200Mbps sounds fair depending on the distance.

The higher tier broadband speeds are designed for shared bandwidth across multiple devices, wired and wireless, not strictly one specific device.

It just so happens that ethernet is capable of near gigabit speeds, however, depending if you are using a cat5e or higher grade ethernet cable, your ethernet card might not be gigabit.

What model is the laptop?

0 Kudos
Nupzyo
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Its not the newest of laptops: pavilion 15-au181na.

I am using a CAT 7 ethernet cable. So, maybe with whats been said, my laptop isn't up to the capabilities of receiving greater speeds than 100mbps via ethernet?

0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/product/hp-pavilion-15-au100-notebook-pc/12499208/document/c05318830 

Network interface
Integrated 10/100 BASE-T Ethernet LAN

Only capable of 100Mbps.

That being said it does mention there are two USB 3.1 ports, so you could aquire a USB 3.x gigabit ethernet adapter as mentioned earlier in the thread.

0 Kudos
Nupzyo
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the help. 

One thing that's stumping me is my engineer tested my signal with what looked like a mobile...and he said I was getting 400mb in the with with the router and 300 (can't remember exaxt) in the bedroom.

Would this be his usual smartphone or a device used to specifically test the range and speed of the WiFi signal within the house?

0 Kudos