Menu
Raymac1947
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Less than 20mbs up or down???????

I am on the

I have had problems from day one, my signal in the house is OK, BUT the incoming speed of my broadband is absolutely terrible at the moment it is between 6mbps and 16.98mbps up and  between 4 mbps and 20.29mbps down.

I had an engineer at my house to cure this problem about 3 weeks ago, don't know what he did but my speed did go up to around 60mbps, he said it was now 200+ which was rubbish, he said that my laptops internet card was slow (not the case as I was receiving over 150mbps with BT on the same laptop)

I phoned your help center which was absolutely useless as I was passed between 3 different operators who all asked me to do the exact same things, which was actually related to my signal strength, not my line speed.

I know that it is unlikely for anyone to receive the full 350 mbps, but under 20?? You yourself must admit that this is not acceptable,

I could have bought your cheapest package, and possibly received a faster service.

I have ran the speed check with more than one computer, at different times of the day or night the fastest I got was 64mbps at 3 in the morning, simple things like watching Youtube, you have buffering, Netflix of which  am a paid member comes up with the dreaded,, unable to watch this video, please try again later.

The only reason I moved from BT when my contract ran out was due to your advertising campaigns stating you have the fastest in the UK, I am receiving less than 1\3rd of the speed BT supplied and your package costs me more.

I am now at a loss of what to do next, I am seriously thinking of going back to BT.

Has anyone else in these forums had the same problems as I have?

Ray

Ray

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Legend
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Less than 20mbs up or down???????

Post up your network connection details and someone will check to see if there is a problem there.  Go to http://192.168.0.1  (or http://192.168.100.1 ) in your browser [there is no need to login] and then click on the  “router status” icon at  top right - or bottom middle - of first page up -- depending on which hub you have  and then copy/paste 3 sets of data onto here - the downstream, upstream , &  network logs.  Don't worry about the formatting it can be easily read (by others & not by me!), but try and avoid using screen shots & don’t include personal data or mac addresses.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Raymac1947
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Sorry I can not find a ink, I have the Hub 3

I'll paste things I found that might help

Wireless(On (2.4 and 5GHz), WPS Enabled),,,,, Internet(Online),,,,,,Telephony(Ready (TEL1))

I ran a diagnostic, it says

Diagnostic Results...
WiFi signal strength of BRWB05216CE16BB is -51dBm.
WiFi signal strength of android-28db0b795f6a82b4 is -73dBm.
 WiFi signal strength of Chis-iPhone is -100dBm.
 WiFi signal strength of Lenovo-PC is -61dBm.
 Telephone line 1 is Ready
 Wireless primary network is Enabled on 5GHz.
 Wireless guest network is Enabled on 5GHz.
 Wireless primary network is Enabled on 2.4GHz.
 Wireless guest network is Enabled on 2.4GHz.
 Internet connection is good.

Wireless frequency 5GHz
Wireless mode 802.11a/n/ac mixed
Channel Auto
Channel width 20/40 MHz

Wireless frequency 2.4GHz

Wireless mode 802.11b/g/n mixed

Channel width 20/40 MHz

Channel is Auto

UPNP Enabled,,,,,DHCPv4 server enabled....

dont know about this,,, my laptop      

Device name MAC address IP Address Speed (Mbps) Connected to
Lenovo-PCdeleteddeleted34Wi-Fi 5G
VM6928****
BRWB05216CE16BBdeleteddeleted11Wi-Fi 2.4G
VM69******

Sorry I cannot help further, I am not really clued up on Router settings I leave well alone.
Thanks for your reply
Ray
0 Kudos
Raymac1947
Joining in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

An update on my last message.

I phoned the Virgin call center (again) I was passed back and forth between 4 operators, put on hold 3 times they had me restart the router, attach an ethernet cable etc,,, etc

When I was asked to move the router to another room this is when I was starting to get a bit annoyed to say the least

I told them that when I had the installation done the engineer only has access to one room of the house, (Which was fine by us) it can not be moved anywhere else because there is only 3 feet of cable coming out of the box to the wall adapter,

Running the equipment in the house using ethernet connections is not an option as the landlord will not allow a cable installation, being in a shared house there are separate electrical circuits on separate meters, so plug in wifi/ethernet devices will not work.(we have tried) I told them that the signal strength is fine everywhere in the house, it's the incoming strength or router that is the problem.

I was told to hang on and an engineer will come on the phone to help me, I hung on for around 10 minutes then the phone went dead,,, a total of 45 minutes totally wasted.

I called again went through the same routine again, when I explained that the signal strength is fine all over the house, I was told, "well you have 18mbps all over the house what are you complaining about youve got broadband"

This was the deciding factor for the end of myself and Virgin Media, pay for VIVID 350 Optical Fibre receive between 13mbps and 50mbps at a push, then am rudely treated by the customer services operator

When I am away on business I use a Huawei E5530 mobile wifi router which connects to the internet through the EE sim card, this receives over 100mbps on a test by ookla,,,,,,, How can a 4" x 3" device that is on a mobile connection be faster than a fibre optic installation with Virgins so called fastest router?

If I was receiving 100 to 200 mbps out of the advertised VIVID 350 Optical Fibre this would be acceptable by me as I never thought I would ever receive the full 350

but 13mbps to 50mbps at a push, sorry not acceptable,,,,, an engineer did call a couple of weeks ago, worked a bit better for about 3 hours then back to buffering and stuttering on youtube and my Netflix is a no-go area it just won't play any movies.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Legend
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I know this can be a real pain but having reread your post I cant see whether you have tested the connection/speeds on a gigabit enabled pc/lappy on >Cat5e ethernet cable.  So have you and what was the outcome ?  VM only "guarantee" speeds on cabled connections for obvious reasons.  The Hub3 works fine on wifi for most customers - but there is a significant number (like you and many on here) for whom it doesn't - and the reasons why seem many and varied.  There are a couple of tweaks to do on the Hub settings - if you havent already which might help - see below.  If they dont resolve the issue there could be a network connection issue (but as you cant post up details it will need a VM person to test your line and connection details).  Could be a faulty Hub of course - and they might replace it for you.  A pinhole reset often helps as well.  Or the "nuclear" option that many use is to put the Hub where it belongs - in modem mode - and connect up your own good quality wifi router or access point(s).

A couple of things to try/check to see if it improves wifi.  In its settings in "smart wifi" do you have "enable channel optimisation" checked - if so disable it.  Also in settings, rename the ssid's of the 2.4. & 5 GHz networks so they can be easily differentiated on your list of networks and can then connect your devices individually to the one of choice that works best for you.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Raymac1947
Joining in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Yes it was a brand new cat5 cable from PC World and the results above were on this cable.
I'm not good at changing settings on routers and usually leave them alone , but I will have a look and let you know the results of anything I change.
I can always press the reset if things get worse
Ray
0 Kudos
Raymac1947
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

P.S. A pinhole reset was done 3 times whilst talking to customer support with no real difference.
It says a lot about VM routers when I am told to buy and use a good quality wifi router, I have no other routers, as the BT Router was sent back to them.
Ray
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Legend
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Was it really Cat5?  If it was you need Cat6a.

Cat5 has become obsolete in recent years, due to its limitations compared to Cat5E and Cat6 cables. Although the Cat5 cable can handle up to 10/100 Mbps

--------------------
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Legend
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@jbrennand wrote:

Was it really Cat5?  If it was you need Cat6a.

Cat5 has become obsolete in recent years, due to its limitations compared to Cat5E and Cat6 cables. Although the Cat5 cable can handle up to 10/100 Mbps

I assume you meant Cat5e ?  Which should be ok.

--------------------
0 Kudos
Raymac1947
Joining in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Sorry I got it wrong, I just looked on the ethernet cable box and it says Cat6A RJ45 Booted Ethernet Cable made by Belkin.

0 Kudos