Menu
Bcomer
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Latency and speed

Although we are supposed to get fast speeds (200mbps) the Xbox keeps crashing out. It's a wired connection and the download speed still fluctuates wildly - sometimes it's only 12! and the latency is 165 or thereabouts and never drops much below that. Any suggestions?
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Latency and speed

Hello Bcomer

Welcome to our forum, I am sorry you are having some problems with latency and speed. Your line and hub look good, all levels nicely within specification. Area traffic is fairly low although there are a few high peaks in the evening that may impact you, overall not quite exceeding our threshold for escalation. Do you find this is an issue in the evening only?

Are you measuring your speed or latency via Xbox by the way as it can be quite inaccurate, always please use a wired PC on www.speedtest.net leaving the default server.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
Bcomer
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I measured via my MacBook Pro. It's generally evenings and weekends which is generally when people are at home to use the broadband. Not happy to be paying for a high quality service if it's not effective when we need it but we are paying for a service that we can't benefit from because we are not home at between 10am and 3pm
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hey Bcomer,

Thanks for getting back to us Smiley Happy

Apologies for the connection problems. Can I ask if you're experiencing the fault on wireless and Ethernet connections, or just the wireless? As Nicola says, the usage in the area does increase at peak time which is expected, but it's not exceeding our thresholds so it's not considered an area fault just now, this could change in the future.

Speak with you again soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Bcomer
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

It's both. And I'm not just measuring on the Xbox. Internet at peak times is often unusable in our house and we switch it off and use 4g instead which should tell you that something is seriously wrong!
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Bcomer,

I appreciate you posting back with and thanks for the extra information.

I can see that my colleagues have mentioned that traffic during peak hours is high and unfortunately it is not currently reaching our thresholds for us to raise to the networks department.

I'll check this again in a few days and if there has been any change I will let you know.

I understand how frustrating this must be and apologies for the inconvenience.

Speak soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos