Menu
wlarus47
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Latency Issues in the Evening

Hi, I have just signed up for an account here to see if i can get any help with a strange connection issue I have been noticing lately.

Every evening somewhere between 8pm and 11pm i have been getting large latency spikes with my connection. Upload and download speeds seem to be ok, and when I am just streaming something i wouldnt notice the issues, but when i am playing games my connection to servers has had huge ping, and some packet loss during these periods. Connections outside the window are perfectly ok.

I have attached a few screenshots that show the issue i am having. This has happened every night since i first took notice last week, some nights are definitely worse than others. If there is more information i should post that would make it easier to work out let me know. Apologies if i am missing something obvious!

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/3a829e6437d8a2b97262ef4b7b83e34e6b0ea20f

14thapril.png10thapril.png

0 Kudos
Buffer6
Hero
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Latency Issues in the Evening

I get it as well, and I think it has to do with possibly having to go through the London Internet exchange

(LINX) to get to the Think Broadband site and it being saturated, it's happened in the past.

It doesn't mean that it affects everything on the Web, only some parts of the Internet.

My Broadband Ping - 14/12/22 New

0 Kudos
wlarus47
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

It's not an issue that I have had in the past, and started happening a couple of weeks ago. I initially started monitoring in the middle of trying to play some games with friends where I had horrible ping and packet loss with the server while they had no issues, so I only got the ThinkBroadband after having the ping problems for a few nights in a row. Is there any way to test to see if its affecting all of connections through my hub or finding out which ones are affected?

9thapril.png

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Are you in Northern Ireland by chance?  There are several threads here relating to the same thing, the 20:00 to 23:00 approx. spike.  It should be fixed by now, or at least that's the information we were given on one of the other threads.

0 Kudos
wlarus47
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I am in Northern Ireland! The spike was still there last night, though maybe not as severe as some other evenings. Would you be able to send me a link to the other thread with the response?

16thapril.png

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Trouble shooter
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@wlarus47 wrote:

I am in Northern Ireland! The spike was still there last night, though maybe not as severe as some other evenings. Would you be able to send me a link to the other thread with the response? <snip>

Here you go .....  Poor speeds Newtownabbey (Belfast) making gaming u... - Virgin Media Community - 4690421