cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Large discrepancies in Speed

tallguy1967
Joining in

Hi Community,

I need to check my sanity. I have the oomph package M600. When I run samknows/realspeed on a VM hub 4. I would have expected a download speed of 600Mbps.

Internet- HUB, Download 466, Upload 41, latency 16.2, jitter 2.44, packet loss -0.30

Speed to computer, Download 229, 41.2, latency 15.9, Jitter 6.51, Packet loss N/A

The computer was connected with a direct cable to the back of the hub. So no wifi, as I wanted to confirm this first. No other devices connected? 

Any ideas, am I missing something obvious? I would like to get the Hub->PC speed to more than a 1/3 of the expected speed.

Many thanks

Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Can you do it this way and see what you get.

As you expect >100Mbps then connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a NEW and working Cat5e/6a ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have first put into “modem mode”

(https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ).

This ensures that NO other devices are connected Test speeds at https://speedtest.samknows.com/ - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot your device into Windows safe+networking mode - to disable any potentially interfering software on it - and try again.

There are many posts on here (I have a list of ~30!) where QoS software, unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Can you do it this way and see what you get.

As you expect >100Mbps then connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a NEW and working Cat5e/6a ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have first put into “modem mode”

(https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ).

This ensures that NO other devices are connected Test speeds at https://speedtest.samknows.com/ - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot your device into Windows safe+networking mode - to disable any potentially interfering software on it - and try again.

There are many posts on here (I have a list of ~30!) where QoS software, unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @tallguy1967,

Welcome back! Thanks for posting.

Please can you let us know how you have got on with the above advice?

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hi community,

It’s taken some time but I am pleased to confirm that I am getting the full oooph package. The major element I changed was to turn off the WiFi on the Virgin media hub.

I actually have a ubiquity network so it handles the Wi-Fi in the house. It was obviously clashing. Once turned off, I now get 300Mb Wi-Fi throughout the house. 660 Mb on wired connections.

Thanks for the support

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

That's great news tallguy1967,

If you do face any further issues then please do not hesitate to contact us again!

Take care,

Kain