Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop download speed seems to be limited to 160mbs

TBidd83
Tuning in

Hi, 

Hopefully someone can help with this.

I currently have M250 broadband and for the majority of my devices I get wireless download speeds of around 260mbs almost without fail. There are, of course, occasional drops at peak times or with high usage which is to be expected. That's not a problem.

My laptop however is a different story. Every time I turn that on and run a speed test I will get around 160mbs every time, without fail. I then perform what has become a bit of a ritual where I log onto my Hub 3 and change any wireless setting (I usually just switch the "intelligent" WiFi on or off, depending on what I did last time) which will force a minor reset where all devices disconnect and re-connect within a few seconds. I can then run another speed test and it will  give me the same 260mbs as everything already does and will remain consistent until I turn the laptop off. When I next turn it on, I'm back to 160mbs and I have to perform the ritual again.

It is so completely predictable that it cannot be put down to the unpredictable nature of wireless connections and no other device does this.

Can someone offer any advice as to why this might be? I think it must be something to do with the handshake between the laptop and router but have no idea how stop it from happening.

Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9

Client62
Legend

When everything else works well but 1 laptop, that laptop becomes focus of attention.

Restarting the Hub may just be breaking the WiFi connection for a few minutes.

Putting the laptop into flight mode for a similar period might do the same thing.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Is it a Dell by any chance? If so disable SmartByte and try again.

If not speeds are often limited by some software on the device - antivirus being the main culprit. Try switching that off and try again.

If no improvement – boot your device into Windows safe+networking mode - to disable all potentially interfering software - and try again.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Scottyboy99
Dialled in

Sounds very bizarre. I wonder if you get the same behaviour on the laptop if you connect via ethernet (does it have a port?). If not, then at least you know for sure its a wifi issue. Maybe then try and see if there is an updated driver for your wifi card in the laptop. 

Thanks for replying.

Turning the WiFi off on the laptop's end, either using flight mode or by turning WiFi off, does not have the same effect as forcing a change on the Hub. When it reconnects, it will reconnect at 160mbs. 

Only forcing the signal reset at the Hub improves the speed, which makes me think the Hub is the culprit here, perhaps having taken a dislike to the laptop.

Thanks,
I have tried turning the Antivirus off and it didn't help. I haven't tried rebooting in safe mode but will do that when I get an opportunity and report back.

Hi,
It doesn't have an ethernet port unfortunately .

The laptop in question is an Asus VivoBook, if that helps?

It is probably worth adding that I had a new Hub from Virgin not so long ago (a few months maybe) and I did not have this issue with the old Hub...

Try and see if there is a driver update for the wifi card in your laptop on ASUS site perhaps. Might make a difference. Otherwise you could buy a cheap access point to go into the hub which will give off its own wifi signal. Maybe your laptop then can get full speed without doing it all that

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@TBidd83 wrote:
Hi,
It doesn't have an ethernet port unfortunately .

It has USBc ports - get an adapter for connecting RJ45 to USBc ports - then it will connect on a Cat6a cable.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.