Menu
stickybeans
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Known fault in area not appearing on service status page?

I've been having terrible speed for sometime now and I can't say the service over the phone has been any better.

The Engineer who came out suggested they are doing work in the area and that the area is at 96% capacity and didn't know why they were bringing MORE people on in the area when they know there are issues currently.

The main problem is I can't see when this issue is resolved as its not reported on the service status for my area even when the Engineer has suggested a fault which will take over 30 days to resolve. Has anyone else had this experience? or a similar experience?

I've asked if they can update me on any issues in my area when they come up as I need a reliable connection for work however I can't seem to get any text updates from Virgin media even when they have suggested 'next time it will' etc...

😞 

0 Kudos
stickybeans
Tuning in
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Known fault in area not appearing on service status page?

FYI tried restarting router. Has been an issue since sometime in April when they started carrying out work.

Last speed test from speedtest.net =

Ping ms - 293

Download Mbps - 0.92

Upload Mbps - 2.18 

Packet loss has been 10 - 20% more recently too. 

When the Engineer came, he was honest and said there isn't much that can be done and its a fault and related to upgrade work going on.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

As well as trying the “check service,” Area status webpage", there is also a Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually tells you of more local issues down to postcode level (that may not be listed on the Area Status web page which usually covers 1000’s of customers) - that may give you more info, but even that wont cover problems affecting just a few customers.

Slightly odd that you got a tech visit when there is a "known problem" - Tech visits are auto-cancelled in those circumstances (makes sense really) - summat strange there.

Is it just speed issues you have or do you get "disconnects" as well - on ethernet and wfi?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
stickybeans
Tuning in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hey,

Thanks for the information and quick response. I just tried calling but it reported no faults in my area.

Re the Engineer coming - I had a long chat to a phone adviser who really wanted to help. He had an Engineer come take a look just to make sure there wasn't anything on my side that could be done to help as I think he understood I was having a tough time (he was the 4th adviser I was speaking too having been handed off a few times). I was also at the end of my contract and we had a good chat about not wishing to start a new one with such issues in my area but having no other options at the time as no one else in my area was installing at present so I think it could have also been to help re-assure / push through that.

I've just tried the My Virgin Media app too as this was recommended on the phone number but it looks linked to the web and also doesn't report any issues in the area and that I have a 'Good service' 

With the download speeds I'm getting it's certainly not true. 

0 Kudos
stickybeans
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi John,

Sorry for not answering your other questions.

I'm on WiFi for mobile and laptop, powerline adaptors for one device and connected via Ethernet for other. All different options giving the same test results. 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Just to check - if you put the Hub into modem mode and connect a computer/laptop to it directly with Cat5e/6 ethernet cable what is the connection like - speeds etc.

You didn't answer re. disconnects.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
stickybeans
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Sorry. I have noticed a few disconnections now and again but usually they are only brief and have been putting this down to the issue. 

I just tried modem mode and connected with laptop and this looked to be faster - hit about 20Mbps download. Not sure if performing this action and then putting it back to router mode has helped as running a few more speed tests was showing similar results on WiFi and through the power line adaptors (18.72Mpbs etc..). I'm noticing speedtest.net does keep switching server when it looks for the 'Optimum server' atm...

Just ran a few more tests and seems to be going back down towards 1 - 2Mbps download now. 

0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@stickybeans wrote:

I've been having terrible speed for sometime now and I can't say the service over the phone has been any better.

The Engineer who came out suggested they are doing work in the area and that the area is at 96% capacity and didn't know why they were bringing MORE people on in the area when they know there are issues currently.

The main problem is I can't see when this issue is resolved as its not reported on the service status for my area even when the Engineer has suggested a fault which will take over 30 days to resolve. Has anyone else had this experience? or a similar experience?

I have never seen a utilisation / capacity issue listed on the service status page in all the years I have been with VM.  The status page seems to be reserved for issues like total outages rather than intermittent ones. If the engineer is correct then there will be a fault reference number for the issue which one of the forum team should be able to supply you with once they get to this thread.  Once you have that you can call up or post on here with the reference number and staff can look up the status on their internal system and give you an update, but that is all you can do there is no public facing system for checking the status of this type of fault.

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

stickybeans
Tuning in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

The Engineer's notes have F007962717/P4 27/5/20 

It's a real shame its not possible for them to report this on their status page as it seems to suggest 'In your area'. I've also spoken to the Virgin media team who have suggested they can send me texts of works in advance of them being undertaken but I've never received one even having requested so.

It's a real struggle as I work from home a lot of the time and generally just need a reliable connection for everything I'm doing. I can completely understand the current lockdown has impacted this somewhat but still would expect higher then 1-2Mbps. 

Hopefully at some point we'll get full fibre in the area from other suppliers and I can review my options. 

0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@stickybeans wrote:

The Engineer's notes have F007962717/P4 27/5/20 

OK so it looks like F007962717 is the fault reference, P4 is the priority and 27th of May is the estimated fix date.  If you still have issues after the 27th then post on this thread and the forum team can give you an update on F007962717 which will probably be a new estimated fix date.  Utilisation issues in the past (pre crisis) could take months or years to fix.

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos