Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Just upgraded to 200Mb service now slower than before!

Two days ago I decided to upgrade my service to the 200Mb speed from the previous 100Mb I had before, Virgin have confirmed the upgrade is now complete. Before this I could regularly get test download speeds of 107Mb down and 10Mb up and at its slowest around 70Mb down and about 6Mb up. Since the upgrade my speed seems to max out around 56Mb (but is often half this) download but I seem to constantly seem to get a good 20Mb up or slightly more.

I have one of the very first white Hub 3.0 routers which is maybe five years old now, the Wifi from this device is total rubbish and almost non existent unless you are in the same room, however I connect via an ethernet cable so I'm not so fussed. 

I've rebooted my router maybe half a dozen times in the last two days since the upgrade but it seems to make little difference. Like I say a few days ago Internet speed was pretty much as advertised on my 100Mb service and has been like this for years, upgrade to 200Mb service and I'm getting at best only half what I had on my previous 100Mb package.

Starting to think perhaps my router might be the problem here and it is simply too old to handle to speed upgrade as nothing else has changed.

Anyone else had this or know how to fix it? Thanks, Steve

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Just upgraded to 200Mb service now slower than before!

What speeds do you get at >> speedtest.net << with a direct connection using a Cat 5E or better cable between the Hub in Router Mode and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If the upgrade was online, it seems to sometimes take a couple of days for the new configuration file to get pushed to customer's hubs.  You can check this as the MaxTrafficRate in you're hub's status page under Primary Downstream Service Flow, in the Configuration tab.  It'll be displayed in bits per second, so it should read 230000061 for a 200 Mbps connection.  if it's still set to the 100 Mbps speed then it's usually a matter of doing a restart of the hub, and if that doesn't pull down the new config, leave a further day or two, check, and if need be do another restart.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Direct connection into PC via ethernet cable at 16:50 today is 51.62Mb down and 21.13Mb up 😕

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I've rebooted my router maybe six or seven times over the last two days but will leave it a bit longer and see what happens.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Just check as suggested and downstream reads 230000061 for a 200 Mbps connection. Starting to wonder if Virgin just can't provide the bandwidth they are suggesting? 🤔

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Can you Login to the Hub Settings and navigate to the Connected Devices page - what is the reported 'connection speed’ for the ethernet cable connected device you used for the speed test ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Problem Solved!!

In my property I have three PC's, several AP's etc. Hub is running in modem mode to 3rd party router. Turns out two of the PC's I have hooked up via ethernet cable were connected via the older Cat5 cable (didn't realise this!) Only did speed test on two computers which gave me the same result so assumed problem was at root with modem.

Thanks for all the help to whittle this down from previous posts above.

If you are suffering from dodgy slow broadband connection (up and down like a bride's nightie, half speed or quarter speed etc.) then top priority is to replace all ethernet cables with the latest technology ie. Cat6e etc at every connection. My older ethernet cables were factory made molded cables but they really can't handle the higher >100Mb speeds. Now very happy customer!!

0 Kudos