cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just received router after signing up, WiFi faster than ethernet?

JackF
Joining in

Hi all,

I've just signed up to Virgin Media and received my router today. I use those TP Link ethernet over power thingys, and the speed has always matched or exceeded the WiFi speed. However with Virgin, the WiFi is 200Mbps and the ethernet over power is only getting 50ish Mbps. Any advise please? Or is it a faulty router, it's clearly been used before as it has marks and little bits of dust.

Thanks,

Jack

3 REPLIES 3

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Yep thats about right - I get about the same on my 200 connection - over my pair of powerline adapters to an upstairs PC. They always attenuate speeds - usually limited to a max of 10/100 - pre-attenuation - in any case.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

JackF
Joining in

Anyone else having this issue? Any remediation steps by Virgin?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
VM will not deal with any non VM equipment

But see this...

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you.

You do have to call in to order the first one (cant do it online the website is borked) - or try the web-chat or Whatsapp functions (that has worked for some) - or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you .

If not… you will be charged £5/month (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, although the VM Pods should be a simpler option.

You would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) A combination of (2,3).

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.