cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just Installed - slow speeds

RobbieB82
Tuning in

So I just got VM installed. VIP Package which includes 1Gig broadband. I have an Orbi Mesh system directly connected to the hub in modem mode. Using the Orbi system to speed test its maxing out at 80mbps... thats far too low for a 1gig connection. 

Any help appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Firstly did you connect the orbi in the correct sequence - see below - if not set it up again.

I would try a new Cat6a ethernet cable as old ones can and do fail, dropping speeds down to <100Mbps

What speed do you get on a device connected on a known good Cat6a ethernet cable connected to the other port on the first Orbi?

Switch on and set up your own router/Mesh unit (in its settings) with the WAN port set to be in Automatic IP i.e. DHCP (& Nat) mode, it may be pre-set that way anyway. Then, disconnect all cables from your new router (or Mesh first unit) and switch it off and unplug it. Then, put the VM Hub into modem mode ( https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ) and wait for the base light to turn magenta/purple (on a Hub3 - but not on a Hub4!). Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub “MUST” then be powered off. Switch your router on and make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then put in the ethernet cable from its WAN port to the VM hub (any port will do).

NOW… power up the VM hub and wait 5-10 minutes for The Hub to initialise and and you should get a connection. Use the recommended App to connect any other Mesh units to the first one. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for the reply John... So its a Hub 4... and the setup for the orbi is the same as it was connected to the Sky broadband router. Also, on the Hub 4 in modem mode, is it all ports work or just one when in Modem Mode?

Thinking of resetting the orbi and setting up fresh again.

Direct Ethernet to the orbi is still 90mbps

So, I took it out of modem mode and back to router mode, turned the two wifi off and now the speed has jumped to over 500... dont know if its because I reset the orbi to factory or put hub back to router mode.