cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with internet even though I have a booster

Fran79
Joining in

Been trying to sort out my issue since this morning and I’m getting no where.  I need someone to tell me why I’ve been having network issues for months even though I pay extra for a booster. My speed today was 6mbs I pay for 200mbs?????  Someone on the Facebook page told me to put my issue on here and a meme bet of staff will contact me. 

3 REPLIES 3

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM staff will respond in a day or so.

Is their a known issue - try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to postcode level. 

In the meantime, are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection related?

Do you mean "booster" or have you one of their new Pods (they dont do boosters anymore)?

How much a month do you pay?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi John 

it’s all issues using WiFi cable will not reach so I don’t use one. I pay for 200mbs of internet plus a booster/ extender which I have upstairs.  I’ve had issues with my internet for months been doing speed tests & taking screen shots when my internet drops out of service. Lots of evidence of my issues but no help happening from virgin 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
OK just to be clear.... you actually pay for 200mbps delivered TO the Hub and out of it on an ethernet cable connected device - wif speeds are not guaranteed (it's in the T&C's).

So if VM see that your connection is fine (did they actually tell you that?) then all they will do is offer you Wifi pods at £5/month to help cure that.

So as you havent tested that we have no way of knowing whether its just a wifi issue or a network connections one - and different solutions apply to those two scenarios.

If you dont want to test it on a longer ethernet cable (~20-50 metre runs are <£10) then lets see the connection data to see if there are any obvious issue - can you follow this procedure.

If you cant, then a VM person will respond here in a day or two.

In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1  (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) and hit return. On the first page up, dont Login - just click on the “router status” icon/text at bottom-middle (or top right) of the first page up and then copy/paste as “Formatted Text” (not images) 3 FULL sets of data onto here – 2 pages from the Downstream, 2 from the Upstream, & the Network Logs page. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you (you may need to click the "submit" button again.

Also, in the meantime... If you haven’t already, set up a free and secure “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph” (as per instructions on the TB website) when it starts to develop.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.