cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the WiFi always going to be bad

Aja1029
Tuning in

I’ve had this virgin media fibre 200mb hub3 box for just over 2 weeks and I due to me being to busy to call I’ve hoped it would improve but the speed is inconsistent and terrible. There’s little to no connection downstairs but upstairs the connection isn’t great either It’s as if it will run perfectly fine for about 15minutes and then it will spike and just drop to nothing temporarily and then after that it will just be lacking speed. It’s been good to watch YouTube videos and that’s pretty much it. Is there anything that I can even do to improve this cause I’ve got another 18months of this and it’s disappointing.

12 REPLIES 12

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Do this
________

Post up your Hub/network connection details and someone will check to see if there is a problem there.  In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1  (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) and hit return. On the first page up [there should be no need to login if you have done so before unless you have the New Hub4 when you do] click on the “router status” icon/text at bottom-middle of first page up and then copy/paste as “Formatted Text” (not images) 3 FULL sets of data onto here – 2 pages from the Downstream, 2 from the Upstream, & the Network Logs page. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you (you may need to click the "submit" button again.

Also, in the meantime... If you haven’t already, set up a free and secure “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph” (as per instructions on the TB website) when it starts to develop.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Aja1029,

Welcome back to our Community Forums. Thank you for your post and I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing some ongoing connection issues. 

I was able to locate your account and I can see that there are no area issues that would be impacting your connection. However, after running some further checks, I can see that there are some issues with your upstream power levels that we would need to have looked into by a technician.

I will send you a Private Message to confirm a few details before I book in the technician, so please keep an eye out for a purple envelope at the top right corner of your Forum page.

I will be in touch soon.

Thanks! 🙂

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Aja1029,

Thank you for confirming your details with me over Private Message. 

I was able to book an appointment for you for the first available slot and I have confirmed the details of this appointment with you over PM.

If needed, you can manage your appointment via your online account here.

Please keep us updated on how your appointment goes and if you need any further help for your issue. 

Thanks! 🙂

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs