cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the WiFi always going to be bad

Aja1029
Tuning in

I’ve had this virgin media fibre 200mb hub3 box for just over 2 weeks and I due to me being to busy to call I’ve hoped it would improve but the speed is inconsistent and terrible. There’s little to no connection downstairs but upstairs the connection isn’t great either It’s as if it will run perfectly fine for about 15minutes and then it will spike and just drop to nothing temporarily and then after that it will just be lacking speed. It’s been good to watch YouTube videos and that’s pretty much it. Is there anything that I can even do to improve this cause I’ve got another 18months of this and it’s disappointing.

12 REPLIES 12

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

First thing to check is whether the broadband connection is working properly.  Can you check the speed with a device connected to the Hub with an ethernet cable? 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

My bad for the late reply I figured out why it my connection was bad it’s because some of the devices connected do not connect to 5ghz and the 2.4ghz is significantly slower as I’m averaging about 30mb on there

That sounds about right / normal!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Aja1029 wrote:

some of the devices connected do not connect to 5ghz and the 2.4ghz is significantly slower as I’m averaging about 30mb on there

When you say "do not" connect - do you actually mean "do not have 5GHz capability" - or they do but aren't connecting for some reason?

If they sghould be using it, have you tried separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings - and at the same time switch off "channel optimisation" apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub3 users get better wifi performance - 

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

yeah they don’t have the option to connect to 5ghz the only thing that is connected to that is one of my TVs and my phone the rest of the stuff will only connect to the 2.4ghz. Also I was just wondering the connection will be fine for the majority of the day and then it cuts out and the on the box it’s flashing green the only way it goes back to normal is if I turn it off and turn it back on.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
You didnt answer the question from jpeg1 last week ......

What are connections like on an ethernet cable connection?

Also.. what light is flashing green on the box - is that the wifi light or the base Power light?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I was only able to connect it to a old laptop so when the Ethernet cable was in I was getting between 30 and 40mbps download and 8 upload but on my phone I ran a speed test and it was showing 120mbps download and around a 15 upload

also it is the WiFi that is flashing green.

also sorry about that one more question. How do I change the security because it’s saying weak security and that I’m on wpa/wpa2

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
So if the base power light stays white and the wifi light flashes - it suggests the issue is wifi only - but you haven't really proved that yet.

What is the wif connection like on your device when you are sat near the Hub - is that always fine and it only degenerates when you move away from it to other rooms?

I assume you are on iOS14

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/iOS-14-Weak-Security/td-p/4410050

--------------------
John
--------------------

I was getting 208.35mb next to the WiFi and 208.90mb in the next room on my phone. 

but devices next to the WiFi box are struggling like a fire stick i actually struggle to load Netflix on there 

i feel like the WiFi itself just spikes a lot

Also yea it’s iOS 14