Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is p2p throttled on gig1 in anyway?

SherlockHolmes
Dialled in

I installed the Hub 5 yesterday.

Speedtest app shows the connection consistently maxing out at 1130-1160Mbps

But p2p won't download at anything over 55-60MBps, p2p used to max out the connection no matter what time of day it was. I'd thought that virgin had stopped any throttling but maybe thats changed?

I'm not even sure if it's anything to do with the Hub5, its possible the slower speeds had been happening before installing the Hub5 but I hadn't noticed.

Has anyone experienced the same? Any tips?

Cheers

19 REPLIES 19

jem101
Superstar

@SherlockHolmes wrote:

I installed the Hub 5 yesterday.

Speedtest app shows the connection consistently maxing out at 1130-1160Mbps

But p2p won't download at anything over 55-60MBps, p2p used to max out the connection no matter what time of day it was. I'd thought that virgin had stopped any throttling but maybe thats changed?

I'm not even sure if it's anything to do with the Hub5, its possible the slower speeds had been happening before installing the Hub5 but I hadn't noticed.

Has anyone experienced the same? Any tips?

Cheers

55-60 Mega Bytes per seconds or Mega bits per second? Different software can show the speeds in different ways, technically, you should always measure speeds in terms of bits per second (lower case b). If your P2P software, instead displays megaBytes per seconds, then as a very rough estimate, multiply that by 10.

Over and above that, P2P traffic tends to throttle itself quite happily, if you are not careful, it’s saturate the upstream and, as a consequence, impact the downstream performance.

Yes, I fully understand the difference between bits and bytes.

Its not going over 60MB/s when up until today it would max out at around 110MB/s, now that it has the 2.5gb ethernet port it should be able to max out around 145MB/s (1160Mbps divided by 8 gives the download speed in MB/s)

The upload isn't being saturated. 

Could one of the Virgin forum staff members let me know if p2p is throttled in any circumstances?

@SherlockHolmes wrote:

Could one of the Virgin forum staff members let me know if p2p is throttled in any circumstances?

From personal experience no.

Depending on what you are allowing within your p2p software you could be overwhelming the HUB 5.

Try limiting the peer connections and see if that helps.

Have you tried something like Ubuntu as a base test?

https://ubuntu.com/download/alternative-downloads

Gabriel9317
Tuning in

Just had my Hub 5 installed today as well with gig1 and yes I can confirm that P2P transfers have been slowed down to 10%-15% of the bandwidth anybody saying otherwise they either don't know nothing about internet connectivity or they are too young

Basically I still have my DSL connectivity from EE and they have 67mb contract I download anything with a peak of 6,7MB/s as P2P so torrents from work or download from other uploaded websites that are P2P after some digging I found that virgin media have been hiding and they DO limit the band to don't exceed the equipment to heavy loads hence the limit to download anything from internet so if I have 1gig I should at least able to download with minimum guaranteed speed of 500mb/s or something like that, meaning 50mb/s downloading a file that has for example 4gb in just seconds,

336042624_651805546708068_306164934211530012_n.png 

I have this picture from a website where virgin media forbids to enter hence I used a VPN, I haven't found a solution to remove the limit because the guy that made this message took this article from a page that was once posted on virgin media website and now is 404.

If I attempt to download a huge file over torrent or any filesharing website is limited to max 10mb/s with virgin media 1gig, but if I open steam to download a game that has 40-50GB the speed of download go up to 80mb/s as steam is the one of the few P2P allowed websites with no limit so that games is downloaded in a couple of minutes,

I repeat the download speed for a file, a game or whatever is slitted by 8 (usually) in UK, in Greece is the same , in Romania even less (slitted by 7 or 8), so 67mb contract you have 6.0mb/s download speed, with virgin should be the same but they limit that to offer everybody a bit of speed, 

Not even the VM branch manager could explain me the real download speed...( real download speed link explanation on the bottom) 

That being said for what did they do 1gig internet with this limit?

I can only see one answer, for a huge family with four 8K tv's streaming 4k or 8k content and about 10 kids that stay on the tablet and watch youtube so that they would not detect the content as P2P,

Maybe the limit of this can even get you out of the contract if you put this in court as VM deleted any implications that they limit their band for P2P or I could not find anything official as when I am writing this,

If you the reader do not agree with anything I just said please just investigate and then reply,

The links used for this large comment below:

https://my.virginmedia.com/traffic-management/traffic-management-policy-thresholds.html > deleted link to P2P limit

https://www.vpncompare.co.uk/bypass-torrent-throttling/ investigations done by some other,

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-we-divide-the-surfing-speed-by-8-to-determine-the-download-speed-in-a-b...<download speed explained 

NO THE VPN IS NOT GONNA BYPASS THE DOWNLOAD LIMIT( already paid for 3 of them and requested a refund afterwards)

Hope Somebody found this helpful if not have a nice life anyway,

Gabriel

I have no issues saturating my Gig1 connection.

Example (Over 1000 Mbps plus other stuff going on!):

@carl_pearce, thank you for your screenshot I will call VM and I mean ASAP,

Gabriel9317_0-1679462271113.png

this above is maximum speed that I can download it won't go better no matter the device or pc/laptop,

But if I open battle.net app and download warzone 2 for example I am getting same speeds as you do but only by doing that,

I will get in touch with the retention department  if they do not remove this limit I will cease my contract with VM I am still in those 14 days of contract and I will stay with the poor EE.

By the way do you use a VPN ? and if yes could you say the name is possible?(maybe the right VPN works)

They don't throttle P2P as most folks think it, torrents, etc, however would be delighted to see heavy users of it leave their network and don't want your business so no idea how eager they'd be to fix things. 

So what would be the point of the commercials to say truly unlimited speed, they do limit p2p download as I just spoke on the phone with an it virgin media representative, and they told me they will remove that limit admitting that they actually limit my connection... looking forward to see if they will remove the limit or I will just close my contract, 

Nobody is thinking of p2p limit, they actually do it, 

They even had a page that now is gone that said they limit their internet during peak times.

check my comment above you have all the proofs.