cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Hub 5 Supplied as default if upgrading to 1Gb

Orac68
Tuning in

Hi,

I currently have a Hub 3 and the 500Mbps service.  I have to decided to upgrade to the 1Gbps service which now only costs an extra £6.40 per month.

I would like to ask for some confirmation that if I upgrade will I get the newer Hub 5 by default, or are Virgin Media still sending out Hub 4's ?

12 REPLIES 12

carl_pearce
Community elder

@Orac68 wrote:

Hi,

I currently have a Hub 3 and the 500Mbps service.  I have to decided to upgrade to the 1Gbps service which now only costs an extra £6.40 per month.

I would like to ask for some confirmation that if I upgrade will I get the newer Hub 5 by default, or are Virgin Media still sending out Hub 4's ?

There appears to be a stock shortage of HUB 5s so it's possible you'll get a HUB 4.

Thank you for confirming that.  I think I'll hold off for the moment then, as it the hub 4 seems to have a bit of a bad reputation i.e. problems/failures.

@Orac68 wrote:

Thank you for confirming that.  I think I'll hold off for the moment then, as it the hub 4 seems to have a bit of a bad reputation i.e. problems/failures.

Ironic really as the HUB 5 has its fair share of issues.

The hub4 worked well for me on the 1gb service.

Every single VM hub has had reported issues, there are more than a few reports on here of people getting a Hub5 and then demanding to be sent a 4 instead! Some on a 4 because of an upgrade, willing to drop to a lower speed to get their 3 back.

Basically it’s a case of ‘your milage may vary’

Is it reliable in modem only mode.  I only use my hub 3 in modem only mode.  My main concerns with the hub 4 would be (1) is it free of any notable issue when used in modem only mode, (2) is it fan free/silent running ?  The hub 3 is silent in operation and this minor detail is important to me.   It's also proven to be completely problem free & reliable for me.  I'm sure I've read some comments somewhere of people complaining that the hub 4 gets hot and suffers from issues such as connection drop outs!

@Orac68 wrote:

Is it reliable in modem only mode.  I only use my hub 3 in modem only mode.  My main concerns with the hub 4 would be (1) is it free of any notable issue when used in modem only mode, (2) is it fan free/silent running ?  The hub 3 is silent in operation and this minor detail is important to me.   It's also proven to be completely problem free & reliable for me.  I'm sure I've read some comments somewhere of people complaining that the hub 4 gets hot and suffers from issues such as connection drop outs!

The Hub 4 is the only model which does have a fan, it is located at the bottom of the ‘tower’, which might not be the best location really. Yes, there have indeed been posts on here saying that it gets hot and/or noisy at times.  Do suspect that some, at least of these issues are down to poor build quality, partially detached heat sinks and/or failing bearings in, what are probably, the cheapest and shoddiest fans on the market!

Thankyou to all of you for your helpful comments.  Much appreciated.  If the hub 4 has fan noise issue etc. then I'll have to hold out until the hub 5 becomes the default modem supplied.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

If you already have the Hub 4, when you upgrade to the 1gig service it's only necessary for someone in VM to press a few buttons. So there's no incentive for them to go to the trouble and expense of sending you a new Hub.

It's unfortunate that your Hub 4 has a noisy fan. My Hub 4 is in a bedroom and it's virtually silent. It might be worth trying for a replacement Hub 4 on the basis that your present one is faulty, rather than paying extra for a faster connection that you don't need.  Unless you have a large family of extremely heavy users you won't notice any difference. 

Bear in mind that any upgrade price offer is a special deal to get you to sign up. After 18 months you may get an unpleasant surprise at the normal price. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.