cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet stops in warm weather

IntermittentRAC
Tuning in

When the weather gets to 25C my router stops working.  Lights normal.  Using a hub 3 that is quite a few years old.  Anyone else got this issue?  I put a tray with ice under it (obv. not getting the router wet) and this helped me work this pm.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

If using a fan, might be worth keeping it on the left hand side of the hub when viewed from the front - the left hand side of the board has the majority of heat producing componentsincluding CPU and heatsink, router and switch chips, the 2.4GHz wifi chip, plus all the voltage management and DSP chips.  All that's on the right side is the NAND module that holds the firmware and user settings, and the 5GHz wifi chip.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Could be a cabinet problem - some get really hot in direct sunlight and with little or no cooling the kit overheats and misbehaves.  I can't see the ice cubes helping that, but might be a placebo affect or luck?

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @IntermittentRAC

Welcome to our Community Help Forum 🙂

Thank you for making your first post regarding your Hub not working when the weather reaches 25C, I'm sorry to hear you have been experiencing this issue.

May I ask where your Hub is located in your house? Is it away from sunny windows, in a cooler location within the house?

As the lights on your Hub are not turning red, this could potentially be an issue with the cabinet overheating. The cabinets do have fans inside and have even painted some white inside to help with the issue with some more impacted cabinets.

However, if you are having intermittent issues more frequently, this is certainly something we can take a closer look at. Can you set up a free Broadband Quality Monitor here https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality and post the results in this forum so we can monitor your connection?

This will enable us to see what is going on each time the weather gets warmer.

Best wishes,

Serena

IntermittentRAC
Tuning in

My Hub 3 stops working when the temperature gets to ~25C.  Very annoying as I use it for working from home.  How do I get a replacement?

wait here staff will get to the thread - is the light going red to show its over heating - if not it still may be but it could be something else - post a bit of info

log into hub3 - 192.168.0.1 [or 192.168.100.1 if in modem mode] - DON'T SIGN IN, click - click router status [centre of screen] - and post the downstream and upstream figures - to see those press on the grey buttons/boxes labelled - upstream - downstream

if its an earlier hub button is top right

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Hi IntermittentRAC, 

Thanks for your post and apologies that this is still ongoing for you.

I can see Serena asked you a few questions the last time you posted but we've not received any reply. Before we can look at replacing the Hub, we need to ensure it is the hub at fault. 

• When the weather temperature does increase, do the lights on your Hub change at all or do they stay normal? 
  • May I ask where your Hub is located in your house?
  • Is it away from sunny windows, in a cooler location within the house?
  • Did you manage to set up the BQM as per Serena's post?

Come back and let us know so we can help further 🙂

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

IntermittentRAC
Tuning in

Hi, I have had a similar problem - the Hub 3 modem stops working when the weather is warm (>25C).

It took me many calls to get them to agree that I need a replacement hub.  Then they checked and said they are out of stock!

So I created this quick fix here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbD3ugf4fRE

Hope it helps!

IntermittentRAC
Tuning in

If using a fan, might be worth keeping it on the left hand side of the hub when viewed from the front - the left hand side of the board has the majority of heat producing componentsincluding CPU and heatsink, router and switch chips, the 2.4GHz wifi chip, plus all the voltage management and DSP chips.  All that's on the right side is the NAND module that holds the firmware and user settings, and the 5GHz wifi chip.

Hi, The hub is on the hall floor, out of the sun.  I had the problem last year when the weather was hot and again this summer.   Recently I have started to use it in modem mode thinking that might reduce the heat produced in the box but still fails in hot weather.   The lights don't change colour it just stops working.  If you run the diagnostic remote tests they fail too.

Finally got to talk to someone this week (VM make that too hard) and after 3 different conversations I should be getting a replacement.  I'm told Hub 3's are out of stock so I'm getting a Hub 2.  Should arrive today.

Thanks