cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet speed

Foskett19
Joining in

Hi guys.

hoping someone can help me as virgin haven’t been too helpful. My internet speed is the 350M that I pay for. However on my Wi-Fi when playing pc it’s always lagging, I’m told my sons Xbox lags random points in different games and when I have an update to do on the PC it does it at about 7MBPS? I am connected using TP link box’s so one downstairs plugged into Wi-Fi and one into back of pc. Any advice ?

4 REPLIES 4

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Power line adapters are not great. Especially when the circuits are on different floors. Personally I wouldn’t use them, but would cable to the Hub. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi thanks for the reply.

the issue I face is my computer is upstairs and my Wi-Fi box is in the lounge. So I’m not sure how I could do it with an Ethernet due to the distance between! 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Maximum Cat 6a cable run is 100 metres.  Yes, sometimes cabling can be a pain, but you can run externally.  I've done this in the past for a family member by running a cable out the wall via the VM incoming hole, up the guttering (cable tie behind) and into the roof space. From there just drop down into the bedroom to a switch, or Wireless Access Point (preferably with extra ports).  If you are competent with DIY, it's an easy win.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @Foskett19,

Welcome to the community page, thanks for posting.

I am sorry for the issues you have been having with your speeds.

When gaming or working on a work laptop, we do recommend you try using your wired connection as this has stable speeds. Wi-Fi is not reliable for this kind of usage.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide