Menu
anthonybowcott
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Internet speed ridiculously slow

Two months it took for this useless company to set up my internet, I waited because there were bold promises of 100Mbps speeds but my speed has never reached even half of that and right now it's down to just 3.23Mbps, it's even managed to get to UNDER 1Mbps but never has it got close to the 100 it's supposed to be on.

Yes, I know the usual dialogue regarding ethernet over wifi and turning to modem mode and resetting the box and waiting 10 minutes for the box to actually load through as well as the speeds are different at each time of day. Nothing I do gets me anywhere near the speed promised, heck, I'd even settle for half at this point but right now "the fastest broadband provider" is slower than my 4g connection and it's never been much faster.

I'm sick of speaking to Indians over the phone who can barely understand a lick of English and am tired of even looking for the live chat option.

If the speed doesn't improve, I'll be cancelling my DD before the next bill and moving back to using just the 4g and Virgin can waste their money chasing money owed that they'll never get.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Internet speed ridiculously slow

Boot your PC into safe mode with networking and test your speed by wire like that.

0 Kudos
anthonybowcott
Joining in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Already tested on 3 different computers, multiple times for many days now, the speed is pretty consistent through the 3 and again, no problems with speed using 3's 4G wirelessly either.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Can you run cmd and
ping -n 200 194.168.4.100

also post your downstream and upstream status from the hub
http://192.168.100.1/RouterStatus.html

0 Kudos
anthonybowcott
Joining in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

What would be the point in that at all? Internet works fine with one provider but not as well with another and the one it doesn't work with, I'm the one who has to run through step after step after step and still not get a fix to the problem? This isn't my first time with a crappy broadband provider, I had issues a couple of years back when I moved from TalkTalk residential to TalkTalk business, they insisted the error wasn't theirs while the error continued for months, jumping through all their hoops and having the whole thing dragged out for months until I finally moved to NOWtv which worked brilliantly, only problem is I moved and they don't supply a service to this address yet, so I was stuck on 4G for a couple of months which also worked brilliantly and I'd have kept using just that if it weren't for the promise of having a faster internet connection. Now, 2 weeks in and I'm already regretting choosing this company, I should have known they wouldn't be that great when they moved my installation from January to February
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Legend
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@anthonybowcott wrote:
What would be the point in that at all?

The point is that these people who know what they are talking about are trying to help you by eliminating potential causes one by one.  If you dont want that help but are just letting off steam, fine thats ok too.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
anthonybowcott
Joining in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

BS, they're not helping, they're giving an impression that they are while they hmm and hah and finally tell us they don't know what the problem is and Virgin should be contacted.
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Legend
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

OK - dont waste their and your, time asking on a help forum.  Just contact VM then.   Good luck.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
anthonybowcott
Joining in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

First of all, didn't ask for your help because you're all incapable of fixing this problem. Unless you actually work for Virgin there is literally nothing any of you can do but give the advice you've just given and that's "contact VM", no matter what you ask me to ping or report, it will always come back to "Just contact Virgin", I'm pretty sure those of you who do spend way too much time on this forum are just hooked on having your egos rubbed and giving the impression you know what you're talking about. I'd be just as well off asking for advice on the situation from strangers on Twitter and Facebook and having them Google every possible thing they can to get me to do so they look all pro. When you get a job in a department of Virgin that may actually be able to assist, then it may be worth listening to you, until then... not so much because the end result will always be the same... some cocky nobody reading out a list of things to do that won't do anything at all until they finally say "Just contact VM then" and as pointed out earlier, really sick of phoning up India.

I have 2 internet connections available to me at the current time, when one works just fine (and multiple others have worked just fine) and the other doesn't, it tells me there's a problem with the one not working and no amount of pinging and reporting is going to change the fact that the only people with any real power to actually look into this are VM
0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

For all the tea in China contact Virgin.

0 Kudos