Menu
kmoat
Tuning in
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Internet problem - Slow Speeds

I purchased the top package for fast internet over a year ago.  My internet has been slow with lots of issues.  Last night the mobile app showed upload speeds of 34Mb.  On my laptop this morning it showed speed of 100Mb.

I just want to call someone to resolve this.  Lets consider the "little old lady" test.  How would she get this resolved.

This forum is a joke as I pay considerable money for top tier service and I cant even speak to an operator to resolve this.

I dont want to do anything but call someone and then resolve.  Any ideas on how this can be achieved people and assume I'm the "little old lady" in your response

0 Kudos
kmoat
Tuning in
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: Internet problem - Slow Speeds

Found the number to call from one of the other posts.

I played the "little old lady" test in my phone call and the operator said can I call back when I can get someone to take the call.  I replied "I'm the little old lady who has no friends or family" and I need Virgin to help me out.

The operator said he did something with the configuration and rebooted.  I rechecked the speeds and they had dropped from 90mb to 27mb.

The operator did say that with wifi speeds of 100mb when you have 300mb are good.  I challenged this and will need to follow up complaints and get them to clarify what I believe I have purchased as this seems like false marketting if they stand by this statement

jpeg1
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Just to be clear, the speed that Virgin advertise and you pay for is the speed delivered to the Hub. If you connect to the Hub with a suitable device on an ethernet cable, you should receive very close to this speed.

If you connect with WiFi, the speed is not guaranteed because it is affected by many local factors. This is what the support person was trying to explain - although their English is often very limited.

If you are not happy with the WiFi speed, there are several things you can try to improve it. At the top of this section there are two WiFi Wins posts, and two other posts in pink. They explain the WiFi problems and what you can do to improve things.

0 Kudos
kmoat
Tuning in
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I phoned back again and the new operator has been very helpful.  She confirmed my slow speeds and has arranged for an engineer to come to review at my house tomorrow.  As the "little old lady" I'm really pleased with that response as I was about to raise this with complaints.

The signal is currently 34Mb and this is not related to the Wifi.  Anyone that thinks that clearly doesnt know what they are talking about and even the "little old lady knows this".

I have purchased wifi and not ethernet connected internet access.  I'm now waiting to discuss customer service suround what I have purchased as I believe I have purchased 350 Mb WIFI access.  If this cannot be achieved then I need to be told this and I can consider my options.

If Virgin say, when you buy 350Mb, you only get 35Mb on Wifi then at least that will be clear and people can realise what service they have purchased.  I would actually applaud them for this stance.  Be truthfull people

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

As jpeg1 says you pay for the bandwidth delivered to the Hub, wireless is affected by many factors like Range, Client Hardware, Interference, Wireless standard used, The Number of simultaneous connection, and the Topography of your home, a well known fact.

I take it you have MIMO wireless AC clients, anything inferior will get nowhere near 350Mbps.

VM do have speed caveats on their website, albeit a bit vague.

0 Kudos
kmoat
Tuning in
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

The post states rates are affected by WI-FI which is understood. However, in my situation I have nothing else connected, my laptop next to the Hub and I’m running nothing at all apart from the speed test tool in the browser.

Its great that Virgin consider purchasing 350Mb and getting 27Mb under these conditions is reasonable. 

There isn’t any hiding here as there are no constraints to this operation.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Legend
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

@kmoat wrote:

Its great that Virgin consider purchasing 350Mb and getting 27Mb under these conditions is reasonable.

There isn’t any hiding here as there are no constraints to this operation.

Leaving the wifi issue to one side for a moment.   If you think that you are not receiving the speeds you are paying for,  then you need to do this first.  Make sure your device has a gigabit network card with up to date drivers.  Use a Cat6a ethernet cable to connect it to the Hub - which you have first  put into modem mode (to ensure only your device is connected).  Then boot up your device into "safe mode" (to disable any software on it that could be limiting speeds - there are lots of examples of that) and run the test at speedtest.net on at least 2 different browsers.

Is that how you did yours - if not - do that and it will show you the speeds coming in.  If these are around 350mbps  then your wifi needs sorting, if its around 27mbps then you have another problem.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
kmoat
Tuning in
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I have a wifi router that is provided by Virgin so the speeds are all part of their service. 

My kids have just come from home after school and are now guzzling the internet.  Its dropped from 35Mb to 13Mb; these are fantastic speeds considering I'm paying for the premium 350Mb service.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
kmoat
Tuning in
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

The “little old lady” chose turn of ALL devices in the house and connect a CAT5 cable between the Laptop and Router. Nothing else in the house was running apart from the speed test browser suggested by Virgin.

What a surprise 30Mb data rate when I’m paying for 350Mb

Its great to be advise by Virgin to ask the “little old lady” to get on her hands and knees and plug in cables, start collecting packets of data to justify there is actually a problem.

I don’t want to talk to technical people I’d like guidance on what we are purchasing here. When I buy a Car it’s quite clear but when I buy 350Mb of Wi-fi that can mean anything from no service to 30Mb. I also need to hold a degree in network engineering to work through the problems and do the work of Virgin engineers. Is that good service?

That said at least after my challenge earlier today they did agree to send out an engineer which is something. However I still don’t know what I have bought

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Legend
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Did you boot into safe mode before running the test (use speedtwst.net  not one VM recommends) - if you didnt - see these 3 examples (there are others) of why you are might not be getting top speeds.

Dell speed problem

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Download-speeds/td-p/3894056

Chrome speed problem

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Etherent-speed-slow/m-p/3912102#M202773

Turbo LAN App problem

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Slow-speed/td-p/3896582

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos