Menu
Aerox21
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Internet capped?

I've been with virgin media at my address for just over 2 years now I first started with them I got the 200 download package and for the first 6 months, I got 200 and sometimes a little more, after that it dropped to 90 still with a decent 30-45 upload speed. I recently upgraded my package as my contract was running out to a 350 broadband package and after 2 weeks the speed is still at 90. what seems strange is that on every device I test the download is almost exactly 90 every time on multiple all tested over a wired connection. which makes me believe I might be capped.

as this does not meet the 50% speed guarantee i can see myself ending our agreement early and choosing another provider fairly soon,

0 Kudos
sophist
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Internet capped?

90mb usually points at a dodgy ethernet cable that is only capable of supporting a 100mb connection.. try a different one - cat5e or higher.

0 Kudos
Aerox21
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I use a cat7 ethernet cable for my main computer and is comes out at exactly the same speed as my other devices using low quality cat5 cables. and like i said i was over 200 for the first 6 months.

0 Kudos
Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

If you have a Hub3 or Hub4, try the SamKnows Realspeed test:

https://www.samknows.com/realspeed/

PS I’m not sure if this has been rolled out to Hub3 as I have a Hub4.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
sophist
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

right - but can you check what speed your pc is actually negotiating the connection at? it's /usually/ a cable problem, but it could equally be a hub problem I guess (hubs ethernet ports no longer negotiating at >100mb).

0 Kudos
Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Good afternoon @Aerox21 

Welcome to the forums and thank you for taking the time to post. 

I am sorry to hear that you have had some issues with your broadband speeds. 

How are things looking since your last post on Wednesday? Have you managed to change an alternative Ethernet cable? 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

0 Kudos
Aerox21
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I ordered a new cat 7 cable and while I waited I kept testing it and I was getting speeds in excess of 300-350 for a few days but back down to 88-90 as of yesterday testing multiple devices and ethernet cables.
0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Likely a fault with the hubs back end link even if you see 1Gb link on your PC to hub the link speed internal is dropping to 100Mb.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Aerox21
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Zak_M is there any way we can escalate this or maybe try a new hub? I'm still experiencing the same problem with trying any fix on my side.

0 Kudos
Serena_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi @Aerox21,

Sorry to hear your speeds are still dropping, that is not ideal at all.

I've taken a look at your account and can see that you have been suffering from a prolonged signal levels issue. I have booked a technician visit for you on Saturday 15th May to get this sorted, if your Hub needs replacing our technician will be able to do this there and then.

Please log in to yout online account here to see the timeslot of your appointment. If this is an inconvenient time, you can also rearrange it via your online account.

Please let me know how things go on Saturday, hopefully this will resolve your speeds issue.

Best wishes,

Serena

0 Kudos