cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent slow speeds, packet loss

AlexT56
Joining in

For the past several days I have been experiencing consistent lag spikes, slow download and upload speeds and significant packet loss (up to 50%). Even when my speed is showing 250MBps+, I still have packet loss of up to 50%. I'm on Gigbit internet, so would expect my speed to be higher than 250MB in any case, but while I'm seeing 250MB DL, I have only 1MB UL speed. This morning I had 17MB DL and 4MB UL. It's just all over the place all day long.

As someone that works remotely with colleagues all over the world, I rely on my internet connection and as things stand I only receive about 80% of the sound from my colleagues on top of regular video freezes and the same for them when I speak. When I the one that does most of the facilitation of the meetings and workshops, that's a real problem because I basically have to repeat everything 5 times to be understood through the cuts.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for those details AlexT56
I have booked the first engineer appointment we have available
You can check and reschedule this appointment through your online account if you need to
You can also cancel it if the fault has gone 
Can you please let me know how the visit goes 
Gareth_L

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

12 REPLIES 12

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi AlexT56

We have just spoken on Twitter 

I am more than happy to take a look at this for you 
I will need to send you a private message to pass security 
If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great 
Regards     
Gareth_

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for those details AlexT56
I have booked the first engineer appointment we have available
You can check and reschedule this appointment through your online account if you need to
You can also cancel it if the fault has gone 
Can you please let me know how the visit goes 
Gareth_L

That's great, thanks. Where do I find that appointment information in my online account?

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you AlexT56. 

If you are yet to find it, once you log in, you can go to help>orders & appointments. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

Thanks, he already came today and sorted some of the issues. Problem with the local cabinet apparently and the initial installation by the engineer that put in our equipment wasn't done properly.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @AlexT56,

Thank you for coming back to us. I'm sorry to hear that this has been your experience! I can understand that this could have easily been avoided. 

Please let us know if you're still experiencing issues, or is your problem now resolved?

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

The packet loss is solved, but the speeds are still below the level we're paying for. Currently getting 200Mb, on a 1Gb connection. 

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi AlexT56, sorry to hear you're still having some issues. The speed depends on a variety of factors, how many devices you have, how they are connected amongst other things.

Just to confirm - are you testing with just one device connected via Ethernet (cat 5e minimum - in modem mode ideally)? Also double check the device you're testing on is capable of 1GB speeds - the network cards in many laptops wouldn't achieve 1GB for example. 

Tom 

I'm connected via wireless on a mesh with WiFi 6 and max speed over 1.4Gbps. The devices I've tested the speed on are a 6 month old Dell laptop and another Dell laptop 18 months old, both of which I have had at over 500Mbps using the exact same equipment. My wireless network speed (IPv4) is currently between 585 and 866Mbps, but our internet is 206Mbps. Wireless card in this device is Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz (peak rate 2.4Gbps I believe?).

I'm confident the issue is not with our equipment. I'm the only person in the house connected to the network right now and the only device besides my laptop is my mobile, which is not streaming or anything similar.