Menu
7builder
Tuning in
Message 11 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittent Service -Due To Shoddy Installation?

That's strange about the picture as I can see it at my end. I'm not sure why that particular picture needs to be approved as it is only an image of my lawn and a bit of driveway.
0 Kudos
Shweby
Superfast
Message 12 of 21
Flag for a moderator

All pictures need to be approved before they can be seen by others. Its to stop people posting offensive pictures etc. 

ZiltoidRacer
Up to speed
Message 13 of 21
Flag for a moderator

The black dome with the wires and crimps is BT, it may say catv but it has been known for other companies to use access to get their services running.

https://www.twitch.tv/ziltoidtv
7builder
Tuning in
Message 14 of 21
Flag for a moderator

A few more photo's that show the original piggyback cable that came out of the path in a big loop before disappearing into my lawn. I asked for it to be moved as the exposed cable loop was a trip hazard. That was when an engineer came to my home and laid a cable across the lawn and into the "CATV" chamber. The reason for mentioning this is to try and build an historical picture of what has been done so it might help diagnose what is causing the frequent drop outs and the error log messages.

Inspection Chamber.jpgCATV 2.jpgCATV.jpg 

0 Kudos
Shweby
Superfast
Message 15 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Regardless of where the cable goes/comes from only an engineer visit will sort the issues. Your signal levels are all in spec, which would indicate all the cables are fine, slightly worrying that you only have 2 upstream channels though. Like i said call it in as a fault, nothing can be fixed from here.

7builder
Tuning in
Message 16 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Shweby, will do and will keep you updated on the outcome.
0 Kudos
Jonny-M
Tuning in
Message 17 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Unsure why people are saying that's a BT chamber, it's not. It's cable TV - you can see the large coax entering, dropping off a couple of outputs for customers, and then leaving again. It doesn't look like how Virgin Media do things now because it was done years ago before Virgin Media even existed. You can see a black siamese cable in the pit in picture one - it enters at the bottom of the image, the coax part goes into the splitter, the telephone part goes into that closure thing. I'd guess that the white cable might have been the original install that was cut off.

Is that cable to the right of your brown box on the wall part of your cable install? It looks like interior-grade cable that has badly deteriorated. 

0 Kudos
7builder
Tuning in
Message 18 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Jonny-M, so I wasn't going mad Smiley Very Happy

The grey cable to the right that you mentioned is a BT cable. The outer sheath is deteriorating but it looks like it is armoured as I can see an inner metal layer.

I'm sat at home waiting for the VM engineer to arrive so let's see what he can find. As is always the case in these situations with an intermittent fault, as soon as an engineer is due my network connection is running perfectly. It still doesn't explain the reocurring "No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out" error I can see in my router network error log file.

I will post an update later.

0 Kudos
Jonny-M
Tuning in
Message 19 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Are you the only house that might be fed from that chamber? I can't work out if the white cable that's plugged in is your old one that was chopped off but is still poking out of the ground. If it is then I assume the VM tech would want to disconnect and terminate the outlet.

0 Kudos
7builder
Tuning in
Message 20 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittent Service - Now Fixed

As promised here is an update.
The Engineer has been and tested the system parameters which initially indicated there was nothing wrong, as I suspected. He could have made his excuses at this point and left but as I mentioned the problem was always worse when we have rain he went outside to check the cable from my house to the cabinet. He put his test equipment on the end of the cable in the cabinet and immediately found it was faulty and asked if it had ever been repaired. I explained the history with the original white cable looping out of the path and into my lawn so he started to dig. on doing so he immediately found an old repair junction box that was in a very bad state with calcification both on the outside and inside.

The old white cable you can see in the pictures was the old cable that was cut off and left so the engineer removed that completely just to tidy the install up and ran a new section of cable under the footpath from the cabinet to create a new clean join.

The fault on the cable between the cabinet and my house has now been cleared so I am confident, fingers crossed that we have found and fixed the problem with intermittent connectivity.

VM Engineer.jpgOld Repair.jpg

I'm really impressed with the speed in getting an engineer out and hopefully in finding and repairing the fault so quickly.

Thank you Virgin.

P.S. Shweby you were wrong about it being a BT cabinet but that was an easy mistake to make Smiley Happy

0 Kudos