cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent Broadband in Dover

Naiswelp
Tuning in

We have been told of works being carried out in Dover on Thursday 23rd Sep. Is this to fix an issue with Intermittent Broadband. that we have been having for over a month now?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Naiswelp

Thanks for coming back to us.

Checks have been done today and nothing showing on either the levels, outages, congestion or SNR so all good.

Please could you do and upload a BQM for us?

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
See if there are any faults known.

As well as trying the “check service,” Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum), also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to postcode level.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Nasiwelp,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community 🙂 
I have managed to locate your account and all looks fine, are you still having issues? If so can you let us know a bit more, I can also see you have not rebooted in a while if you could perform a pinhole reset to see if this improves things also, you can find out how to do it here.

Zoie

Hi Zoie,

I don't know where you obtained your information from. I've been in touch many times in the last 4 weeks and have reboooted with a pinhole reset twice.  Nothing has cured the intermittent issue. During my latest call it was decided that I would wait until virgin media do works in my area tomorrow (thursday) then reboot again and take it from there. I've been with Virgin for 10 years and this is the first time I've had this happen. Obviously with the time it's taking, I'm far from pleased.

Kind Regards, Ian

Hi Naiswelp / Ian.

Please could you do the reboot for me - no issues are showing today, no outages and all levels are fine.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

unisoft
Well-informed

I live in a village outside Dover. The 3rd lot of works were area wide.

The central hub where the CMTS is located is a very small unlabelled building. When Virgin last replaced the old River Delta/Motorola kit to Cisco, they had to do a total swap out overnight as building capacity was full. It really was a lift and shift. That was to fix the single thread download issue which has been fixed since Virgin did that work a couple of years ago.

I suspect the work was for the 1gbs service and also to fix low or fluctuating SNR levels to various segments.

Unfortunately, the first round of work did improve SNR from 38 to 40db on every download channel. Then came along phase 2 and they initially destroyed the good work to 35 to 38db per channel. On the 23rd, the third phase, most channels are now on 40db SNR downstream, but a number on 38db. These figures are all within specs, but obviously a higher SNR is always desired for best connection and annoying because the figures were great in phase 1 of the engineering work.

The remaining issue is the timeouts and RCS partial service messages plaguing upstream channels. Again, I've seen this on two addresses on different CMTS line cards, but I couldn't say if all customers on the CMTS are suffering from those intermittent issues. It depends on a number of factors for each network segment assigned to each CMTS card MAC address.

Hi John,

Thanks for taking the time trying to help with the issue. I'v done a pin reboot but the issue still persists. I don't know what to do apart from stay close to the hub, which doesn't always work and is not ideal.

Still frustrated, Ian

Hi Naiswelp

Checks have been done today and nothing showing on either the levels, outages, congestion or SNR so all good.

Please could you do and upload a BQM for us?

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Hi John,

Many thanks for this. Busy at work today and tomorrow but I should be able to do it on Wed. 

Kind Regards, Ian

Keep us posted 🙂

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team