cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent Broadband GU3 Area

Adi82
Joining in

Hello,

I have been getting intermittent broadband service in GU3 (Guildford) post code area.

M500 is getting around 400mbs when working correctly but is sometimes dropping to 5mb/s or turning off completely. Is this a known issue to VM as when using the status checker it says there are no issues. When using the test the Hub option it comes back saying not possible at this time.

Issue has been going on for around a week now.

Any help appreciated.

Adrian

5 REPLIES 5

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Have you tried the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to street cab/ postcode level.

If nothing is being reported - it may be just you. So try calling it in as a fault (free on 150 VM line - or 0345 454 1111 others - national rate) and see what they say when they test your connection. If they say it’s a known fault, get a fault reference number.

Or, a VM person should pick this thread up and be able to help but it can take a few days.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi John,

Thanks for the information, I just checked by calling that number and it does seem to be a known issue to VM. No details of what this is and when it will be fixed. It's making it very difficult to plan working at home so would be good to get someone from VM to confirm what is going on!

Adrian

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there Adi82,

Thanks for your post and welcome back to the community.

Apologies for the issues faced regarding this, from checking our service I can't see any readings that would attribute to the intermittency.

Can I ask are issues appearing on a wired/ethernet connection also?
Let us know,

Kain

Hi Kain,

The issue has effected both wifi and wired connections. I’m using the Hub 3 in modem mode connected to an Asus router. The router is functioning correctly, but the internet speed often drops and on some occasions has lost internet connection completely which then flags a red light on the router.

I’m sure this is a Virgin Medial cable end issue as when checking the status it has mentioned problems. Although not every time which is strange.

Regards

Adrian

Hi @Adi82, thanks a lot for your reply and confirmation.

As Kain has suggested, I can also confirm that there's no issues showing on our side - all power levels, upstream and downstream levels to your Hub are showing perfect and there's no area issues as things stand.

Can you please try your Hub in Router Mode to see if things improve, as it could be an issue with the third party router or the compatibility that is potentially causing this?

Please let us know how you get on.

Many thanks

Tom_W