cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inconsistent speeds on WiFi

MattWhite98
Joining in

Hi All,

I recently upgraded to the Hub 4 and thought I ought to pay attention to my broadband speeds considering I have the M500 package. I have noticed that my WiFi can drop to 40mbps and go up to 400mbps throughout the day, even within the space of 5 minutes.

I have done a speedtest on SamKnows on both my Macbook and got: 446 to router and 409 to device, and on my iPhone: 432 to router and 1.61 to device.

Anything I can do?

2 REPLIES 2

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
VM don't support speed by WiFi no matter how bad.

If you think you can do better get your own wireless router with 1Gb ports and put hub in modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi MattWhite98, 

Thanks for using the forums to get your WIFI question answered, I would be more than happy to help you with this 🙂

Speeds over WIFI can differ massively and sometimes it's out of our control due to the nature of WIFI signals in the home. There are a multitude of things than can disrupt the signal coming from the Hub, some of these being thick walls, microwaves, large appliances near the Hub, low air flow causing overheating and so much more. 

That's why we are advocates for hard wired connections on devices that need a good, reliable connection like PC's, Laptops and gaming consoles.

However, we do know that there can also be issues when it comes to congestion on the WIFI bands.

If one or more devices are on the wrong WIFI channel (2.4ghz & 5.0ghz) it can cause congestion which materialises as intermittent connection and slow speeds. 

• 2.4ghz - This channel is more suitable for low impact devices, so things like mobile phones, tablets, in-home PA systems etc. The things that don't need a huge amount of bandwidth to work effectively. 2.4ghz has a lower capacity, but it's signal reach has a wide radius, so even if you go upstairs it will still be able to connect (unless you live in a mansion! lol)
  • 5.0ghz - This is a channel for the more heavy hitter devices like PC's, Consoles and laptops that you may use for gaming, streaming and other heavy usage. 5.0ghz has a smaller signal radius, but it's capacity is much better. The radius can be boosted by using our WIFI pods so even if you have a PC in another room, you can still connect to 5.0ghz.

In order to keep congestion in check, you'll need to follow the steps on this link - Change WIFI Channels - this will show you how to change them if any devices are on the wrong band. Please have a go and we'll see if the slow speeds improves over the next few days 🙂

I hope this isn't info overload and I wish you luck! 🙂

Thanks,

Megan_L