cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inconsistent Broadband Speed

Bryn80
Tuning in

Hi,

Why is my broadband speed so inconsistent? In one day It can go from 500mbps to 33 it’s so frustrating especially when working from home. 

what can I do to get a more consistent speed?

thanks

Bryn

8EEF0A9D-EA83-4E25-88EB-DCA026A94A50.png

8 REPLIES 8

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Was that test done over WiFi?   WiFi speeds are always variable and not guaranteed. What speeds do you get over an ethernet connection? 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Hi @Bryn80,

Welcome back to our community forums and sorry to hear you have been having inconsistent speeds with your service. We can understand this is not ideal when working from home and we want to best help. 

As @jpeg1 mentioned, did you get these speeds on wired or wireless devices? Also how long has this issue been ongoing? I have had a look into your account and I can see there may an issue with your power levels. 

Please get back to us when you are able to so we can proceed with further steps.

Thanks, 

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. 

The image is for wireless connection as the room I work in is upstairs and the hub is downstairs.

Thanks again.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

It would be worth checking your speeds with a temporary wired connection,  because if there is a problem with the power levels it will affect the WiFi speeds too. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Bryn80,

Thanks for letting us know.

Have you been able to run a wired speed test if possible as @jpeg1 has suggested? This will help us understand where the issue is stemming from, and whether there is an issue with just your WiFi coverage/signal or if it's something deeper on the network. I've been able to find your account and can see that one of your Pods is offline - are you able to check this for us? This may be why you're not getting such great speeds/signal in the room you're working in.

Let us know and we can go from there.

Kain

Hi,

Yes it’s the same with the Ethernet cable.

Connection is constantly dropping out today.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks 

Thanks for confirming Bryn80,

Sorry to hear there's still some issues with your connection. 

I've been able to take a look at your account using your forum information, and can see some of the hubs levels are out of specification. 

I'll need to arrange an engineer visit but will need a few more details from you first, I've popped you over a private message (purple envelope, top right hand corner)

Alex_Rm

Hi Bryn80,

Thank for sending me your details over via private message.

I've arranged an engineer for you now, you can view the time and date of the appointment via your online account here

Alex_Rm