cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huge Latency and Packet Loss

chickensticks
Joining in

For the last 4 or 5 months I've been suffering from high latency and packet loss, making my connection unusable for things like video calling, which is frustrating given that i work from home. I've tried contacting Virgin who advise me to change my wireless channel because of interference, which doesn't particularly help when I've already explained I'm on a wired ethernet connection.

I'm using a Virgin Hub in modem mode and I'm a software engineer so I've managed to determine that the packet loss and latency issues are happening outside of my network (i.e. within Virgin's).

The problem is now so bad that every few minutes, a ping to 8.8.8.8 results in RTTs of >500ms and ~10-30% packet loss. If I have to deal with Virgin support again, I feel I may just jump out of the window instead as a temporary fix to make me less concerned about broadband speed.

Has anyone on here had similar issues and can advise on a way to speak to someone knowledgeable at Virgin to get it resolved?

Thanks in advance!

1 REPLY 1

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Lets see the connection data before a VM person gets here - can take a few days and will want the same data

In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) (DONT click these links) - and hit return. On the first page up dont login (unless you have the Hub4/5 - when you do login) just click on the “router status” icon/text at bottom-middle (Hub3/4) or top/right (SH’s) of the Login page and then Navigate to these “pages” and just copy/paste the normal “Formatted Text” (not images) 3 FULL sets of data onto here – 2 tables from the Downstream, 2 from the Upstream, & the Network Logs page. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you (you may need to click the "submit" button again. If character limits are “exceeded” - just do two posts

If you haven’t already, set up a free, secure and “offlsite” - “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts.

Its the one VM prefers.

It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph”. Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate. Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see. On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon) In the URL box paste the link you copied and then click OK

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.