cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub4 -sudden drop from 1.1Gb to 94Mb in download

ozsat
Superstar

So I check my download speed every few days to make sure I get what I am paying for,  Samknows real speed would usually come back with around 1140 and 940 - Ookla would come back with around 940Mbps too. During all this the upload is a constand 52Mbps.

Noticed things going slow on Sunday and the speeds had dropped to around 94Mbps download.

I have two different 1Gb network cards in the PC and swiitching between those (and SH4 ports) made no difference.

After a couple of power resets of the PC and Hub4 all went back to the expected rates.  I suispected the PC had got intob a weird state.

During yesterday I could tell from download speeds that things were not right again - and they were back to 94Mbs download and 52Mbps upload.

Tried the power resets again and still 94Mbps download via Ethenet. 5GHz Wifi is still working at over 300-400Mpbs which has never changed.

I have another device with a 1Gb card which would give similar speed results to those excepted - but that is now maxing at 94Mbps download too. A few other devices would usually achieve over 130Mpbs - and are all maxing at 94Mpbs too.

One device I could always get around 300Mbs download via Ethernet is now showing 94Mbps too - but still 300Mbs when switched to Wifi.

It seems the SH4 is auto-negotiating at 100 and not 1000 on all four ports. Config still shows 1 DOCSIS 3.1 channel connect and config download is still 1230000450.

Have done a pinhole factory reset and before doing any SH4 customisation I tried again and still only 94Mpbs on all four ports.

I am sure it is not a signal issue as Wifi is good and I'm getting between -1.1 and +3.0 on all power levels and between 37.3 and 38.8 on all SNR.

I've not seen anything in the logs to show a firmware update but the logs were lost here in the factory reset - currently cmreg-vmdg640-bbt076+voc-b.cm

I will call TS today and get them to suggest things but I can put the issue down to the SH4.

Power levels are mainly the same after the factory reset so within expected range.

Anyone any other ideas of things to try?

ozsat_0-1646888255871.png

ozsat_1-1646888282650.png

ozsat_3-1646888321561.png

ozsat_5-1646888347303.png

ozsat_0-1646888401223.png

ozsat_0-1646888586258.png

MOD EDIT: see message 109  for an update 

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5
218 REPLIES 218

Some of the devices have no 'safe mode' - all has been good since my last reset of the SH4.

All indications from myside and contacts at VM - is that it is an issue with the SH4 and maybe the recent firmware release.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@Tom_W1 wrote:

I've checked on the network and there are definitely no faults, issues with power levels or congestion issues that could be causing this for you.

Because the problem is not Docsis!

---------------------------------------------------------------

Set the network cards to 1000 full duplex, the default is auto negotiation. Setting it to 1000 full duplex gets around the modem and the card handshaking and agreeing a speed.

I have had to do this on ALL four desktops that connect to the hub.

I have come home this evening to EXACTLY the same issue

All my devices are showing a max download speed of 94.3mbps

Hub Reset - no difference
Cable changed - no difference
Devices tried - Phone, Tablet, PC1, PC2, Laptop 1. All devices have 1gbps capable Wifi or Ethernet capability.

There has to be a reason for this, it can't be coincidence. What have VM done?

Edit:
Disconnected everything from Hub. Re-connected PC1 ethernet cable to a different port on hub. Now speed test reporting 860mbps. Will see how long this lasts!

It is nothing to do with the setup - the SH4 dropped from a 1000Mpbs config to 100Mbps config on all four ports on two occasions.

It worked fine for months - got a firmware update a week or so ago and had dropped to <100Mpbs twice now.

@m00g wrote:

Set the network cards to 1000 full duplex, the default is auto negotiation. Setting it to 1000 full duplex gets around the modem and the card handshaking and agreeing a speed.

I have had to do this on ALL four desktops that connect to the hub.

I think there is an issue with the latest firmware.

The first time I got it back I had tried lots of things and not sure what resolved it.

The second time I unplugged all devices from the SH4 - rebooted it - and once it was back up and running I re-plugged in the four Ethernet devices.

@MurdoDruce wrote:

I have come home this evening to EXACTLY the same issue

All my devices are showing a max download speed of 94.3mbps

Hub Reset - no difference
Cable changed - no difference
Devices tried - Phone, Tablet, PC1, PC2, Laptop 1. All devices have 1gbps capable Wifi or Ethernet capability.

There has to be a reason for this, it can't be coincidence. What have VM done?

@MurdoDruce wrote:
Edit:
Disconnected everything from Hub. Re-connected PC1 ethernet cable to a different port on hub. Now speed test reporting 860mbps. Will see how long this lasts!

when your speed drops does the link speed in windows show 1Gb or 100Mb?

Do you have device that are just 100Mb to the hub?

Hi @ozsat, thanks for your responses.

I want to rule out a Hub fault here so I'm going to pop you a PM so I can arrange a technician to come out and replace your Hub for you.

Please expect the PM to arrive shortly and respond when you can!

Many thanks

Tom_W

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@Tom_W1 wrote:

I want to rule out a Hub fault here...

Likely a firmware bug