cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub4 -sudden drop from 1.1Gb to 94Mb in download

ozsat
Superstar

So I check my download speed every few days to make sure I get what I am paying for,  Samknows real speed would usually come back with around 1140 and 940 - Ookla would come back with around 940Mbps too. During all this the upload is a constand 52Mbps.

Noticed things going slow on Sunday and the speeds had dropped to around 94Mbps download.

I have two different 1Gb network cards in the PC and swiitching between those (and SH4 ports) made no difference.

After a couple of power resets of the PC and Hub4 all went back to the expected rates.  I suispected the PC had got intob a weird state.

During yesterday I could tell from download speeds that things were not right again - and they were back to 94Mbs download and 52Mbps upload.

Tried the power resets again and still 94Mbps download via Ethenet. 5GHz Wifi is still working at over 300-400Mpbs which has never changed.

I have another device with a 1Gb card which would give similar speed results to those excepted - but that is now maxing at 94Mbps download too. A few other devices would usually achieve over 130Mpbs - and are all maxing at 94Mpbs too.

One device I could always get around 300Mbs download via Ethernet is now showing 94Mbps too - but still 300Mbs when switched to Wifi.

It seems the SH4 is auto-negotiating at 100 and not 1000 on all four ports. Config still shows 1 DOCSIS 3.1 channel connect and config download is still 1230000450.

Have done a pinhole factory reset and before doing any SH4 customisation I tried again and still only 94Mpbs on all four ports.

I am sure it is not a signal issue as Wifi is good and I'm getting between -1.1 and +3.0 on all power levels and between 37.3 and 38.8 on all SNR.

I've not seen anything in the logs to show a firmware update but the logs were lost here in the factory reset - currently cmreg-vmdg640-bbt076+voc-b.cm

I will call TS today and get them to suggest things but I can put the issue down to the SH4.

Power levels are mainly the same after the factory reset so within expected range.

Anyone any other ideas of things to try?

ozsat_0-1646888255871.png

ozsat_1-1646888282650.png

ozsat_3-1646888321561.png

ozsat_5-1646888347303.png

ozsat_0-1646888401223.png

ozsat_0-1646888586258.png

MOD EDIT: see message 109  for an update 

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5
218 REPLIES 218

It's not the leads in my case, unless every lead in every port is intermittently failing lol !

Well I swapped several different cheap leads in an out of different ports and they all resulted in dropping  to 94 from 945

This been fixed yet? Happening to me on my Hub 3

If it is happening on your Hub3 then it is a different issue.
I think the Hub3 has to be replaced to do 1GB, and the issue with the Hub4 is a firmeware problem.

@paulcoop83 wrote:

This been fixed yet? Happening to me on my Hub 3

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi paulcoop83, 

Welcome to the Community and thank you for posting. 

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing similar issues to the original poster. 

Can you please advise if you are currently on the 1GB package with us? If not, can you let us know which package you have and what speeds you are achieving. 

Thank you, 

Nat

Hi Nat,

I am only on the 200 meg service. And I believe I'm using the hub3.

I have no problems when I'm wireless and achieve the full 200meg. However when I'm connected via ethernet it's 63mbps.

Thanks

Bad ethernet lead?

The issue discussed is only on the 1 gig service with a hub 4.

Really sounds like you have a dodgy ethernet lead

SP89
On our wavelength

Experiencing this issue lately in area 14 on a gig1 package with a hub4. My normal speed connection speed is around 940 Mb/s (tested from within my router - an Asus RT-AX89X, unable to achieve more due to the 1Gb/s ports on the hub and ethernet overhead). Testing in the router ensures that I'm negating any wifi issues or limits of computers connected.

Prior to June 2022, I'd had no issues once my initial connection woes were resolved (after switching package). Full speed consistently, only a few outages that typically last about 30 mins and usually in the early hours - perhaps maintenance, but generally not a problem.

Back in June 2022, we had intermittent connection issues, and after 4 days, the issue was resolved after which there were no problems until around a week ago (8th September) when I noticed my speed dropped. I only noticed because I was downloading a game and speeds were much lower than usual (instead of the 90 MBytes I usually get, I was getting around 9 MBytes ). Rebooted the hub, speeds recovered but then the hub kept losing connection very frequently for a couple of hours until it stabilised, and speeds were back to normal.

I haven't tested since unfortunately, but decided to run one this evening to compare 5G I've been coincidentally getting for about a week against my normal 1gig connection. Once again, I find myself limited to 94Mb/s, 10% of what I'm paying for and what was being delivered until recently, and a reboot of the hub and router didn't fix it. I did a power cycle of both which then restored the speed, but the hub has reset once since then and I'm anticipating more over the next few hours.

mikelkite
On our wavelength

I have exactly the same issue - no problems until june and 2-3 days outage where I needed to tether off my phone, and now the speed is shocking - All I get told its to reboot the routers & SH

I’m a new customer today and have this issue straight away with 94 mbit download speed! This is with the Hub 5. Not a great start