cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub4 Gigabit slow speeds

Davidlennon93
On our wavelength

I've had the hub4 and gigabit upgrade for over 3 weeks now, and the speeds have never been anywhere near 1000mbps.

I am consistently between 200 and 400mbps.

I primarily use a Cat 8 cable, but have tested a range of Cat 5E cables too, with very little difference in results.

I've tried multiple PCs (4) all yielding similar speeds.

I've ruled out the pcs and the cables and the only conclusion I can come to is that I have a faulty hub4.

How do I go about getting a replacement unit that can deliver the speeds I am paying for?

20220127_102245.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I believe i have identified the issue

I have Avast Antivirus running on all my PCs - having uninstalled it and run a speed test, I am now at 900-950mbps

I had a similar issue many years ago with Norton - after uninstalling that back then, it resolved the issue too - it seems that some antivirus software then is having an adverse affect on the internet speed from hub to PC - in my case, it was 3 times slower with Avast.

@weeman if you have any antivirus installed on your PC, i would advise try to disable it, run a speed test and see if that clears things up your end (or at least rules it out of being the issue).

I'm going to continue running some tests by installing an array of antivirus software to see how many (and more specifically which ones) cause the same issue.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

30 REPLIES 30

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @Davidlennon93,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post your issue on the forums.

Sorry for the issues that you're having with your connection at the moment, I have been able to look into our system and can see that there are some issues with you connection that would need to be looked into by a technician.

I can arrange the appointment from here but would need to confirm a few details via a private message, that I will drop over in a moment.
Please look out for the private message and we can get started.
Regards,
Steven_L

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for your response @Davidlennon93.

I have arranged for the appointment and you can find all the information that you need about this on your online account by clicking My Account and Track Your Order.

Regards,

Steven_L

@Steven_L - so the engineer came out on friday...

i got the impression he didn't quite know why my speeds were slow. Gave me a replacement hub4 and his machine was reading 900mbps then going down to 400mbps a few seconds later and staying there - everytime he rebooted the hub4, it would go to 900 then back to 400

in the end he stopped investigating and said it's all fine.

It's now sunday and my speeds are still shockingly low - what do i have to do in order to get what i am paying for? I feel like since I am only getting half the speed (at best) I should probably pay you guys half the price, right?

Davidlennon93_0-1644142633539.png

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You need to post your power levels, Pre and PostRS errors and network log.  Also setup a BQM to monitor and record the state of your circuit  www.thinkbroadband.com/ping

Once done we can comment.  Thanks,

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

RR-IT-GUY
Rising star
Hi, Would you mind re running the test but with task manager open and letting us know what the CPU and RAM usage is while the test runs, (I'm just checking your PC can handle the speed as a lot can't)
(If you won't mind also giving us the specification of the testing device)

Many Thanks
RR-THE-IT-GUY

ok... what does any of that mean @Adduxi??

@RR-IT-GUY - I ran the tests you suggested - the speed is now 371mbps. See attached screenshots showing CPU peaked at 32% during the test and memory at 15%

this was on a Windows 10 Intel Core i9-9900KF @ 3.60GHz - 32GB RAM 

cpu.PNG

memory.PNG

  

Thanks for the specs that helps a lot, you definitely don't have low specs (about the same as mine I9 10850K 64GB RAM)
I am about to look through my history of conversations since I was given a fix for this type of issue by running some network related commands in command prompt but cannot remember off the top of my head.

one suggestion I will make since this is often a good way to check where the problem is, do you know how to make a bootable linux on a USB stick then test it via that then we can see if its a windows network bug (often the case) or if its another problem.