cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub4 , 1Gb # So So SLOW !! lucky to get 30mb on wifi

Jones176
Joining in

Is anyone else have trouble with the Hub4 and 1Gb service

I have had the 1Gb service for a while now , it started out all ok , would get over 500mb on 5g wifi  and 900mb with ethernet cable .

NOW  the only way I can get some speed is to use the ethernet cable . I think there is a fault in my Hub 4 , but so far after 3 weekly phone calls / numerous reboots / service testing and being sent a wifi pod and waiting over 5hrs for an service engineer to call and still waiting . it is no better 

If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate the help

I have to say that I feel let down by Virgin Media TEST PHOTO.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Try a pinhole reset as below. Long term... have you thought about removing VM from the Wifi equation by getting your own better quality wifi router - perhaps wifi6 so you can get full speeds (~950) on wifi

Note that a pinhole reset on a Hub3/4 can be a bit problematic - so do it (again) EXACTLY this way (not as the VM website says!).
Firstly, make sure the Hub's sticker/card with the two passwords on it is still there and legible If not – DON’T DO IT !
With the Hub switched "on", disconnect any ethernet connections (leave the co-ax connected) and then push in the “reset pin” with the end of a paperclip/thin nail/SIM tray “tool” or similar (bigger items like ball point pen ends may not press it in far enough) until you feel it at the “stop point” and hold it there firmly for a "timed" minimum of 60 seconds do NOT manually restart the Hub at any time. Leave it 10' or so to stabilise and then your passwords/passphrase for both the Hub settings and the Wifi networks will revert to the two printed on the Hub sticker on its base/side/card. Make sure you use the wifi one for devices connecting to the wifi and the settings/admin one to access the Hub
See if that sorts it.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Try a pinhole reset as below. Long term... have you thought about removing VM from the Wifi equation by getting your own better quality wifi router - perhaps wifi6 so you can get full speeds (~950) on wifi

Note that a pinhole reset on a Hub3/4 can be a bit problematic - so do it (again) EXACTLY this way (not as the VM website says!).
Firstly, make sure the Hub's sticker/card with the two passwords on it is still there and legible If not – DON’T DO IT !
With the Hub switched "on", disconnect any ethernet connections (leave the co-ax connected) and then push in the “reset pin” with the end of a paperclip/thin nail/SIM tray “tool” or similar (bigger items like ball point pen ends may not press it in far enough) until you feel it at the “stop point” and hold it there firmly for a "timed" minimum of 60 seconds do NOT manually restart the Hub at any time. Leave it 10' or so to stabilise and then your passwords/passphrase for both the Hub settings and the Wifi networks will revert to the two printed on the Hub sticker on its base/side/card. Make sure you use the wifi one for devices connecting to the wifi and the settings/admin one to access the Hub
See if that sorts it.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

thanks for an answer , will give your method ago 

I have have done every reset that I know  . unplugged everything , cables / power etc and waited over a minute before putting it all back  ,  I have logged in to Hub4 settings and done a factory reset , VM have done resets , I did the pin reset you mentioned but only for about 10 seconds 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Yes do it again and make sure its a full 60 (or90!) seconds.

--------------------
John
--------------------

did the pin reset for 90seconds and it hasn't made any difference 
but again thanks for the help 

Hi there @Jones176, welcome to our forum and thanks for your post.

Sorry to see you are not getting the speeds that you are expecting, I have checked things on our end and can see that you have since spoken to the team regarding this. Were they able to help resolve this?

Please let us know if you need anything further.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Hi Nathan 

well after 3 weeks and 1 phone call every week and a final call to cancel to my account 
the only department that really listened and helped was the cancellation team 
they listened to what I saying about my fault , and that I was just asking for was an engineer to come out and check the Hub 4, cables etc 
they arranged for an engineer to come out and  ... 

Oooo guess what ......   after a few checks and tests , he sets up a NEW Hub 4 and it fixed the issue ,  got over 500mb download on the 5ghz wi-fi 
so what I was saying that there's a fault in the Hub was right ...  it would be nice if your fault teams would listen , and not just keep saying that the tests they run are always right and that everything looks fine 
In my case everything was not fine 
but yes the issue is now fixed 

regards Mr Jones