cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub3

Itwasntmemate
Joining in

I have a question  what speeds are achievable on a hub 3 on both wired and wireless.i am upgrading to m500.thanks

7 REPLIES 7

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The Hub3 will work fine on the 500 package. A Hub4 is required for 1GB connections. VM "may" actually issue a Hub4 if you have one of the old Superhub's to be replaced

The speeds you actually get on the package will depend on a number of factors. Speeds are only actually guaranteed on ethernet cable connections and not wifi - so it depends on what devices you have and whether they are capable of getting the higher speeds, how they are connected and (if on wifi) how close to the Hub they are and whether they can then connect on the faster 5GHz wifi network (rather than just the slower 2.4 one)

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

But on a wired pc with a motherboard  1gig ethernet port connected to m500 i should be able to get 500mb ish. I only get 250-270 best.is this OK am I expecting too much

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
So have you actually upgraded to the 500 package already then? Do you have your own router connected - or just the Hub and no other ethernet connections?

If so, what were you on previously and did they issue you a new Hub? Look in the Hub settings at the "configuration data page" and look in the downstream "Max data transfer rate" box and see what you are configured at - note it is in bps - not mbps.

Can you do the speed test like this...

As you expect >100Mbps then connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a NEW and working Cat5e (or better) ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode” (https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ). Test speeds at https://speedtest.samknows.com/ - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot you device into windows safe+networking mode to disable any potentially interfering software - and try again.

There are many posts on here where QoS software, unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi Itwasntmemate

Quick message to see if  you are getting better speeds now since the excellent advice from @jbrennand

Gareth_L

I have been in touch with virgin media they sent settings to my hub3 and told me to monitor  it for 48 hours in that 48 hours for about half hour got some really good speeds but after that speeds went slow again and even after many reboots I'm lucky to get half my m500 speeds I have not had time to ring them back yet due to working times.

Hi Itwasntmemate, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this one. 

I have looked at the Hub stats today and can see that your downstream power levels are out and need some adjusting. I would like to arrange for an engineer to come to take a look at this for you. 

I just need to confirm the address to ensure we are booking the visit on the correct account. 

I have sent you a private message regarding this. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello Itwasntmemate

Hope you are okay 

Just booked an engineer as the downstream levels are out 

The time has been sent by Private Message 

Gareth_L