cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub/Router Speed

david1235
On our wavelength

Hi.

I have a Hub 4 which is in modem mode connected to a Asus router mesh (Asus rt-ax92u and a Asus ax-300 v2).

If I connect via ethernet to this mesh will I get the full 1.2gb download speed that I have (1gb plan)?

Should I connect the ax3000 as the main router as this has a 2.5gb WAN - the rtax92u is a better spec but is limited to 1gb WAN?

Thanks

David.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The Hub 4 only has a 1Gb NIC, so around 940Mb tops on ethernet.  You will need the Hub 5 if you want a 2.5Gb NIC to match the Asus.  You will also need all the kit to have >1Gb NIC's to get any advantage of the extra 200Mb.  It's a very expensive route to go down.  Invest in 10Gb kit for future proofing and think about fibre connections rather than ethernet.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The Hub 4 only has a 1Gb NIC, so around 940Mb tops on ethernet.  You will need the Hub 5 if you want a 2.5Gb NIC to match the Asus.  You will also need all the kit to have >1Gb NIC's to get any advantage of the extra 200Mb.  It's a very expensive route to go down.  Invest in 10Gb kit for future proofing and think about fibre connections rather than ethernet.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

david1235
On our wavelength

Thank you!