cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 upgrade…. Only had hub 4 8 days

DeluchiL
Joining in

Hello ladies and gents,

I very recently upgraded to the wonderful 1gig service (just over a week ago) and was surprised to learn that the modem on had 1gig ports I have a lovely 10gigabit setup through out my home including WiFi 6 AP and would like to get the most from them.

I understand there is now a new hub 5 out and how go about getting a swap to this hub I spoke to a fairly surly member of the retentions team to get info and was fobbed of being told he doesn’t really know anything about it and he is sure it’s invite only could I just confirm this? 

Alternatively is there a team I can reach out to and maybe be placed on a waiting list etc I want to get the most out of my connection.

Cheers 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Timwilky
Fibre optic

I too, have a 10Gb backbone at home, I was able to achieve full VM speed to the home network using a balanced LAGG with 2x 1Gb cables connected to the Hub 4. Seeing 1.1Gb on the LAN

Until VM announce 2Gb is it even worth installing a hub5 when you want to connect in modem mode etc. 

Hub4/Gig1-> pfSense->Microtik CRS312/CSS326/CRS305->Meshed Asus RT-AX89X
VM Network - Timwilky

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The Hub5 is not generally available and is currently only available to invited customers.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Timwilky
Fibre optic

I too, have a 10Gb backbone at home, I was able to achieve full VM speed to the home network using a balanced LAGG with 2x 1Gb cables connected to the Hub 4. Seeing 1.1Gb on the LAN

Until VM announce 2Gb is it even worth installing a hub5 when you want to connect in modem mode etc. 

VM Network - Timwilky

How do you get two lan ports to work for full speed on hub 4? I have an asus wifi 6 router that is capable or wan aggregation so how do i get the hub 4 to support it?

I will give this a try as an interim work around thank you for your input 

I don't think all Asus routers support WAN Balanced aggregation, I think they are possible LACP ~But if yours does.

Of course your starting point is to have the hub 4 in modem mode, (Sorry if being to obvious)

You need to 2 connect to two ports of the hub 4 using a balanced LAGG.

So you are not looking to to increase the overall available through aggregation, simply balancing the load over multiple interfaces. So with multiple parallel connections you will achieve the supplied speed upto 1.14. What you will not get is a single connection greater that 940Mb.

VM Network - Timwilky

I was informed we would all be invited to try the new hub. But my trust with virgin is falling hard. Dishonest staff is letting them down.

This is an easy answer for the call centre, we don't know and have no dates as of yet. 

Honesty is far better than you'll get invited shortly... 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I spoke to a manager about the Hub 5 today and they advised that no one that is on Gig1 will be getting the hub 5 as a trial. Which leads me to believe that anyone on Gig 1 will not get a free upgrade. Not sure tho...

I think you may be right and that’s why the outbound team where looking to get people on the 1gig service it’s ashame as a 23 year customer if that is the case.

I have a lead on this within the “pilot team” so I’m just trying to see if I can get lucky.