cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 gig1 Internet package not preforming above 50mb on WiFi or on lan

JamieStead
Tuning in

I got my hub 2-3 weeks ago when I signed up for the gig1 Internet package (site said it was available to my area). First I had problems with installation and had to get an engineer out.

I've yet to have a download speed of over 100mbps with it on average being around 20-50mbps. Sometimes it still cuts out, This happens on both WiFi and ethernet.

I work from home as a software developer and this is starting to hinder my work. I'm paying for a Internet speed of 1130Mbps and I'm not even getting a tenth of it.

14 REPLIES 14

carl_pearce
Community elder

@JamieStead wrote:

I got my hub 2-3 weeks ago when I signed up for the gig1 Internet package (site said it was available to my area). First I had problems with installation and had to get an engineer out.

I've yet to have a download speed of over 100mbps with it on average being around 20-50mbps. Sometimes it still cuts out, This happens on both WiFi and ethernet.

I work from home as a software developer and this is starting to hinder my work. I'm paying for a Internet speed of 1130Mbps and I'm not even getting a tenth of it.

What does this site show?

https://samknows.com/realspeed/

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @JamieStead 

Have you tried a different ethernert cable when connected to the device you are emasuring the speed on? Also a different ethernet port on the hub?

You don;t say what type of device you  are using to measure the wired speeds on, but if it's a windows PC then check the speed of the NIC.

Press the Winows key and type in ethernet. Then select ethernet settings. Then change adapter settings. Double click Internet and it should show the speed as indicated on the left of the picture below.

If you need to change it change it, click Properties followed by Configure then scroll down as shown on the right and set the value to 1.0 Gbps Full Duplex.

Gig speedGig speed

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I've tried these solutions and have received no success, thanks for the help however.

@JamieStead wrote:

I've tried these solutions and have received no success, thanks for the help however.

What does this site show?

https://samknows.com/realspeed/

I'll have to wait to check the Internet has crashed multiple times this morning

Hi JamieStead,

Thank you for reaching back out to us, sorry to see you aren't getting your expected speeds since your upgrade, as you have upgraded to our Hub 5.0 it may be down to the devices not supporting WiFi 6 which is what the Hub 5.0 runs, also with the wired connections are the cables Cat 7 or above< did you do the speed test above as advised by carl_pearce?

Regards

Paul.

Hi,

Here are the results of the speed test

Screenshot_20221216_155411.jpg

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for posting this reply and for confiming, JamieStead.

Sorry to see your speed issues are ongoing, can you please tell us if this was resolved over the weekend or you still need help?

Also, could you advise if the above speeds were measured on wired using cat7 or above and has there been any improvement with the service since Friday?
Please, let us know, once we've established this, we'll be able to advise more on this. 

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

I would have thought it was fairly obvious from the screenshot that this was done on a WiFi connection on a phone!

However all this talk about WiFi 6 and Cat-7 cables  is completely irrelevant, isn't it? IF, and I am somewhat dubious, we regard the SamKnows speed test running as an agent on the hub as being 'accurate', it clearly shows the speed into the hub as being ridiculously low for a supposed 1 Gig connection, no?

Either the hub is faulty and needs swopping out, or the underlaying cable connection is bad, either way continued examination of LAN cables or WiFi is simply an exercise is procrastination.

John