Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 and Netgear Nighthawk XR500

RTH11
Joining in

Hi 

I received the new Hub 5 ( previously had the Hub 3) from Virgin recently 

I usually used the hub as a modem and didn't have any trouble at all when connecting to the nighthawk

Since switching to Hub 5,  my ping went to 100 (normally 17) and my speed went from 219mbps to between 3mbps and 10mbps , if I disconnect the nighthawk and disable modem mode on the Hub then I get my higher speed, is there any setting I need to do to my nighthawk for the new hub or is it just not compatible now with the Hub 5? iv got a very expensive router about to gather dust if so !!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Factory reset the Nighthawk and try again. I went from a Hub 3 to Hub 5 with my own router without any problems. Also check any QoS on the Nighthawk is off, and you are using port 4 on the Hub 5 as I believe it’s the 2.5GB WAN port. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

22 REPLIES 22

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Factory reset the Nighthawk and try again. I went from a Hub 3 to Hub 5 with my own router without any problems. Also check any QoS on the Nighthawk is off, and you are using port 4 on the Hub 5 as I believe it’s the 2.5GB WAN port. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Thanks Adduxi

Tried all of that, to no avail , I actually turned off QOS , something 'feels' like I need to change a setting 

I just plugged in my old Hub 3 again and it works fine , not sure what the Hub 5 is doing in modem mode that would hinder the speed so much?

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If your old Hub 3 is working, there is something wrong. You can’t have two Hubs provisioned at the same time. 

Hi @RTH11

Welcome to the community.  

Really sorry to hear that your Hub 5 is not working with your Nighthawk router. @Adduxi is correct, you cannot have two of our routers active on the account, meaning your Hub 3 is still the router active on the account and not the Hub 5. 

I haven't been able to locate your details on our system, can you confirm if you have activated the Hub 5 by calling the activation number on 0800 953 9500? Please let us know if you have called this number and are still having issues and we can look into this further for you.

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Hi Carley

Yes I have been trying to sort this at the weekend, the Hub 3 wasn't deactivated but I could still use the hub 5 ?

I have been assured the Hub 5 is the active hub on my account, so I have turned off modem mode and used the Hub , that works , soon as I put the Hub 5 into modem and connect the nighthawk I'm back to woeful internet speeds, but strangely I get my full speed at 6am in the morning until around midday then it just goes back down again??? 

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Do the following have a PC to the hub and change to modem mode you should get internet if not power off for 2mins unplug replug the ethernet cable then test your speed if good connect PC to your router login fine MAC clone option in WAN/internet to copy PC MAC to router then connect your router to hub and test your speed also check your WAN IP is the same when doing this.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hi @RTH11 thanks a lot for your reply.

Have you been able to follow @legacy1's steps in order to try to resolve this? Please let us know and also how things have been for you over the last few days.

Many thanks

Tom_W

Hi I am also seeing a huge drop in speed on the nighthawk xr500, is docsis 3.1 qos clashing with qos on the xr500, I will hard reset my netgear tomorrow see if that helps but cannot get the throughput on router speedtest have tried with qos disabled and geo filter off same low speeds ping is OK but bandwidth is suffering as well as way different bqm charts is that a sign of this as my average latency (blue) / jitter is way up at peak hours on the xr500 graph but not on the hub 4 that shows packet loss though, is there a conflict somewhere as they will not work together since ive had it many thanks 

Amazing how I do not even get any help on vm forums anymore, just as I have a cisas case, before this every post/question or problem was answered not just this post but almost every post since the deadlock, there is biased at virgin and victimising which there should not be, just like a top vip said when I was going to send my case to letz (ceo) quote "it shouldnt matter who you complain to but it does" we should all receive the same customer care but I definitely do not,  reading other people with the same problems get free engineers I get charged they get answered I do not they told possible resolutions I get there's nothing wrong, where is the fairness? Just because I know when I have a problem and the average Joe does not, this needs to be addressed as its not a good look for the company and I'm sure the higher ups will want to know what's happening at customer level, as I'm sure they don't want worse isp the same as 2021 due to NO transparency etc.