cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 slow in modem mode

fishy3005
Tuning in

Hi. Upgraded to a Hub 4 yesterday. The signal drops out in router mode so i switched it to modem mode to pair with a separate router but now my download speeds only reach 90 mbps. I was getting 300 mbps in router mode. 
i connected the hub 4 directly to my laptop via ethernet in order to rule out any issues with my tp link router. In modem mode via ethernet i am still only getting 90 mbps. So it is clearly not an issue with my tp link router. 
please help

29 REPLIES 29

Sorry guys i may have been wasting your time. My router is a tp link c50 archer. It claims to output 800mbps through the 5Ghz band but after doing some research it appears the ethernet ports can only carry a max of 100 mbps!! Whats the point of that? How can a router claim to transmit 1200 mbps over wifi when its input ethernet port can only carry 100?!!
Am i missing something?? 

It hasn't been a waste of time at all, it has kept me away from the fridge and hopefully you have learned a few things.

On the Router. the two speeds are independent.

The Wi-Fi speed in many cases is the total of the two or three broadcasts that you have. It is a big con in many respects although it will be laid out truthfully in the small print. They are the LAN speeds, in other words the speeds that Wi-Fi devices can talk to each other.

The ethernet speed, is the maximum that any device can connect to the internet.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.

Thanks for explaining pal. Guess i will need to invest in a better router. Unless someone can advice me on the best wi-fi settings on the hub4? The signal just doesn’t seem to be very stable  😞

Take it as read, VM Hubs have crap Wi-Fi.

If your current router covers the whole of the property with decent strength Wi-Fi a modern upgrade of that router should suffice.

Just make sure it is wherever possible

1 gigabit ethernet capable.

Up to 750Mbs 2.4GHz capable

Up to 1625Mbs 5.0GHz capable.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.

Sorted. Cheers mate 

Well, im buying an Archer C7 router today. Its not the worlds best but apparently its a decent budget router and has Gigabit wan/lan ports. So fingers crossed its an upgrade on the VM hub 4! 

All sorted thanks guys. Paid £65 for the tp link archer AC1750. Linked up and now getting 260mbs on the 5Ghz band and 100mbs on the 2.4 band. Been watching 4K through the firestick this last hour and not had a single buffer or signal drop  🙂  

Sorry, but why are you questioning this, there has been numerous queries on this forum over the problem. It has been a known fact for 10 years + that when ever any Virgin hub is put into modem mode the speed drop is significant (always way less than half) and always has been, its an issue VM are not really bothered about as they want you to use the hub in normal router mode. That is why there isn't much chatter any more about it on this community. I've even highlighted the issue on many of the engineer visits I have had over the years for various reasons and the answer is always the same. I recall trying it years ago and purchasing a £300+ nighhawk wifi router, needless to say the router was returned within a day and everything was back to VM poor WiFi. This is part of the reason why VM always try to flog you their extenders which are considerably overpriced instead of giving them away free for rooms that struggle, or the hub that struggles in reality, because they know it's still a major issue. Just waiting another 6 months and it will be back to SkyQ for me now that Openreach are installing high speed fibre up my street at last. 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@heavyend81 wrote:

Sorry, but why are you questioning this, there has been numerous queries on this forum over the problem. It has been a known fact for 10 years + that when ever any Virgin hub is put into modem mode the speed drop is significant (always way less than half) and always has been, its an issue VM are not really bothered about as they want you to use the hub in normal router mode. <snip>

I've been with NTL/VM for more years that I care to recall, and I've never used any VM supplied Hubs as Routers, from the SuperHub 1 to Hub 3.  I've always used Modem mode and never had any problems maxing out the circuit.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

@heavyend81 wrote:

Sorry, but why are you questioning this, there has been numerous queries on this forum over the problem. It has been a known fact for 10 years + that when ever any Virgin hub is put into modem mode the speed drop is significant (always way less than half) and always has been, 

So I should be getting 50Mb? seems I'm getting 100Mb and limited by my router for QoS maybe you need to test modem mode with a PC and no router to be sure your facts are right.

---------------------------------------------------------------